Discuss Electricity & Water Nice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Lights still on … even though everything else is under water 😎 IMG_2863.jpeg

I'm quite amazed by this. That pole has to be filled with water and there's no way the cut out isn't also filled.

Chances of someone having replaced the cutout with a waterproof junction is basically nil, so the only possible explanation is magic.

Why wouldn't it work? If that is a column on the highway what is it's circuit protection?

I wonder if it’s solar…. No cutout. All the gear is in the head

Solar streetlights generally have their battery where cut out would otherwise be located.

They also tend to have an obvious panel mounted at high level to avoid contact with vehicles or the heads of pedestrians.

I'm curious about the comment from @westfield not expecting water to have any effect. Clearly I'm missing something obvious.

I'm curious about the comment from @westfield not expecting water to have any effect. Clearly I'm missing something obvious.

Yes, the resistivity of water is relatively high so unless the live, neutral, earth are very close together you won't get enough current flowing to cause the fuse in the cutout to operate.

Pure water has incredibly high resistivity which reduces with amount and type of impurities in it.

Scratch that. I'm thinking a cut out filled with dirty water is going to create a dead short.

I doubt it would be anywhere near a dead short, probably upwards of a hundred ohms considering the distances between terminals in most cutouts.

The fact the water looks dirty doesn't necessarily mean there are a lot of impurities in it, the dirtiness will be solids suspended in the water rather than impurities dissolved in it.

When I worked for a DNO I attended many jobs were houses, substations etc. were flooded and still live, As westward says it just keeps working. Loads of times I have meggered pilc cables that were hard down, stick the fuses in and they work fine.

Reply to Electricity & Water Nice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net