Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Emergency Lighting Testing Prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

same here. especially if you have to hang around 3 hours for duration tests.

Depends if were talking about a ''central battery EMG lighting'' system!! If that's the case there is going to be a lot more to testing this type of installation, than just duration tests. On these systems, it's doubtful if the standard self employed journeyman electrician will be in possession of the required tools, let alone the experience to conduct all the require work.

Dammed dangerous too, working on those battery banks, if your not aware of the procedures that need to be followed!!!

those systems are beyond us mere mortals. we can just about cope with the £15 bulkhead types with a ni-cad inside.

As with engineer54

Standard self contained are fine!

But with vented battery banks, sg reading, charging rate, electrolyte levels and condition of cells are a Must!

The test equipment is specific to the type of work and not normally held by the standard spark!

[QUOTEDammed dangerous too, working on those battery banks, if your not aware of the procedures that need to be followed!!! ][/QUOTE]

Yep.... Wellies, marigolds, Gas Mask, Hydrometer

[QUOTEDammed dangerous too, working on those battery banks, if your not aware of the procedures that need to be followed!!! ]

Yep.... Wellies, marigolds, Gas Mask, Hydrometer[/QUOTE]

And the ''All Insulated'' tool kit, including socket set, spanners, hammer/mallet, etc,etc!! lol!!!

depends if OOH would be required as working with only emergency lighting would be a nono 3hrs plus time for turning on and turning offf and checking all charge lights are lit depends on size of buildings amount of "test points" that can take for ever 1 point per room is a pure PIA and layout ect ect
we do store in allowed time of 4hrs giving including 4 lamps paperwork ect

I'd charge by the hour - if you're not actually fixing anything the maintenance guy could probably do it himself.
Switch the lights off and see if they're still on after 3 hours. Easy.
The time it takes you will depend on the layout of the building - if you can just walk into one building, turn off a bank of switches and see at a quick glance what is on and what is off then on to the next one, it won't take as long as if you've got to go hunting for fittings in irregular places.

I have found, depending on the building usage then it may only require 1 hour to test. However, when checking residential properties, I usually walk round and record the lighting levels every hour. I used to do it every half hour, but then that gets tedious.

Then check the charging light light comes on after the test and one final switch off to check the e-lights come back on and then off again. Make sure the maintained lights are working etc...

Reply to Emergency Lighting Testing Prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net