Discuss European to UK plug conversion. 2-pin to 3-pin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R_Rbnsn

Hi,

I've just bought some lighting for my band from a German company and they have European 2-pin plugs. Is it possible to cut the plugs off and re-wire them to be UK 3-pin? If so could someone please explain how to do it?

I know the other option is to use an adapter however as we would be running 4 of these lights we'd prefer that they be converted to standard 3-pin plugs.

The electrics will be compatible.

I am just a little bit scared to explain to someone how to swap a plug over.
They are very simple to wire, there are probably a few videos on youtube.
If you are not 100% confident, get someone else to do it.

As Murdoch says, get in touch with manufacturer to be sure. They should work fine, but you need to be sure, especially using them in public.

What exactly is she checking with the manufacturer?

What could go wrong?

As long as it is double insulated, I can't see any issues. If you can see one, please advise I am curious.

I know that the device will more than likely be electrically compatible with the UK supply, I am talking more about checking that the device itself is suitable for use here, as it is to be used in a public place / for business purposes. I know of a court case where a very nice chap got into a lot of trouble for changing the plug on a European appliance. There was an electrical fire, caused by said device, and although it wasn't actually relevant, it was pointed out that the manufacturer didn't sell or supply the product in the UK and so it had not been tested as such. Seems a bit petty in this day and age but it ruined the chap involved. OK, so it is simple to cut off the plug and wire up a UK one, but there are other issues to consider. Just going from personal experience.

What type of lighting kit is it? Theoretically it should be fine just to swap the plugs, but what you may find is that you have a problem with PAT tests for the kind of venues I'm guessing you probably gig in. Also, whilst the German plugs (Schuko's) look like they only have two pins, the earth (what is the long pin on a UK plug) is made by the metal clip on the side.

Extra thought: A lot of entertainments industry kit is sold using IEC leads (kettle leads) for just this very reason. If so, all you need to do is get a new set of leads with 13A moulded pliugs on the end. Try A.C. Audio - The definitive source for all your audio system needs - Amplifiers, Loudspeakers, Microphones, IEM, Headphones, Communications Equipment, Mixing Consoles, Signal Processors, Source Equipment, Audio Stands and Audio Accessories if you need to.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Just to cover some of your questions

Before I bought the lights I checked with the company whether they would be okay to use in the UK and they said "The lights will work in the UK but you will need to change the plugs or use an adapter", which brings me to asking how to rewire them to a UK plug.

I did hope they would be "kettle leads" as that would mean I'd simply have to change them for UK 3-pin ones, but the lead goes inside the housing of the light so this isn't the case.

I have rewired plugs before, I've just never converted 2-pin to 3-pin before (and didn't know if you can) and there doesn't seem to be much about it on the internet so I wanted some professional advice.

Please see the attached photos

PS. Inteificio - what made you presume I was female? (I'm not!)

Attachments

• DSC00724.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00725.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, a good old rock n' roll PAR36/38.... just a bulb on a ceramic base. All you need to do is just wire them to a 13A plug in the normal way - you will find when you strip the cable that it is coloured Brown, Blue and G/Y the same as UK.
Brown=live (fuse)
Blue=neutral
G/Y= earth (longest pin).

Plug.gif

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies. Just to cover some of your questions

Before I bought the lights I checked with the company whether they would be okay to use in the UK and they said "The lights will work in the UK but you will need to change the plugs or use an adapter", which brings me to asking how to rewire them to a UK plug.

I did hope they would be "kettle leads" as that would mean I'd simply have to change them for UK 3-pin ones, but the lead goes inside the housing of the light so this isn't the case.

I have rewired plugs before, I've just never converted 2-pin to 3-pin before (and didn't know if you can) and there doesn't seem to be much about it on the internet so I wanted some professional advice.

Please see the attached photos

PS. Inteificio - what made you presume I was female? (I'm not!)

One quick comment - the 2nd picture shows the item is a class 1 appliance (earth symbol) so thinking its a 2 pin plug how is the earth provided? At a guess it will be through the neutral terminal.
So if this is the case it wont form any protection if it is a class 1 appliance - therefore get someone else to do it as it may result in putting a new flex on it with an earth (CPC) enclosed.

If the flex is a 3 core flex then you will be fine. Its all down to how many cables are in the flex - with that metal case you really need to have that earthed

One quick comment - the 2nd picture shows the item is a class 1 appliance (earth symbol) so thinking its a 2 pin plug how is the earth provided? At a guess it will be through the neutral terminal.
So if this is the case it wont form any protection if it is a class 1 appliance - therefore get someone else to do it as it may result in putting a new flex on it with an earth (CPC) enclosed.
the flat bit on the plug is the earth, the 2 prongs are the live and neutral.

^^^ what he said. And what I also said earlier if you care to read the whole post.

Thanks Phil - thats what I thought but wanted to check - so just wire it up like any normal UK plug - if you still have problems someone on here will be happy to do it for you!

Sorry Rockingit - didn't read your full post - that will teach me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Phil - thats what I thought but wanted to check - so just wire it up like any normal UK plug - if you still have problems someone on here will be happy to do it for you!

Sorry Rockingit - didn't read your full post - that will teach me!
Yeah pm,d him asking for location if he,d have been near me would have done it for him but no reply!

Phil - doesn't need a sparky to change a plug top! There once was a time, not that long ago, when everyone could do it. In fact, my 14yr old daughter got a lesson on how to wire a plug in school recently (that I felt duty bound to pick a few holes in, of course!).

Last edited:
Phil - doesn't need a sparky to change a plug top! There once was a time, not that long ago, when everyone could do it. In fact, my 14yr old daughter got a lesson on how to wire a plug in school not recently (that I felt duty bound to pick a few holes in, of course!).
Yes I know, just thought I would offer to help him out foc if he was unsure,I know a plug tops a simple thing but some people still make mistakes.

Reply to European to UK plug conversion. 2-pin to 3-pin in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net