Discuss Fair Wage for my skill set? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Alright guys, I just wanted to know what you would pay me if I were working for you. Been working 4-5 years doing general electrics. House bashing, fire alarm systems, data cables, antennas, etc. Can safely say I can rewire a house on my own; ringmains, lighting, kitchens, outside lighting, SWA if that's the case, consumer units. Fairly competent if someone asked me to do a fire alarm panel. Intercoms. I can have a go at cameras but need more experience in data cables. Nothing to coax and TV's really. Performance in work I'd say I was enthusiastic, more so than the boss that can be lazy and an arsehole at times. I'm in my 3rd year of college and I will do my 18th edition when it comes out and my AM2 along with completing my portfolio. Not driving yet as I have never needed to. Got most of my own tools within reason. Haha. Just wanted to know what you think I would be worth, had to write an essay because I know it's hard to know someone's value without seeing them work but I've been as honest as I can. Thanks lads

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  2. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    I would start you on £7.50 per hour. If you were ok then £10.00 per hour. If you can do what you say you can do and don't go around bad-mouthing the people that employ you maybe £15.00 per hour. If you got really good £25.00 per hour. i.e. you can fully test and inspect and issue certificates and actually know what you are talking about.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Okay, good to know! Haha. I'm fairly competent at testing and inspecting and I can fill in certs. Could do with more practice I guess. My boss usually does them but I can go around and do tests and write them in a diary or paper no problem.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    agree roughly with vorti. there is one thing you left out in your OP though. can you make a decent brew? ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I've done my fair share of tea boy duties! I'm sure I can make a solid brew! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. FatAlan

FatAlan Trainee Trainee Access

Just by the composition of your post you appear pretty switched on. Set up your business down here in Surrey and I'll come and work for you! Keep doing what your doing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    yipeeeeee !!!!! another scouser on the forum. now we'll give them southerners a kicking. :):):):):).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Haha! Cheers mate. I just need to build up my confidence in knowing for sure I can do things. Boss always putting me down and trying to hold my hand giving me the shite jobs, but when he leaves me on jobs he is always made up with my work and speed and so are the customers and other lads on site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Hahaha is right lid!!! Go ed ;)

10. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    confidence is bred into all scousers, we know we're the best. stuff your boss's attitude.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

Technically your still an apprentice, so I would pay you £2.80 an hour and bank the rest for my holiday in the Maldives. You could get £12 an hour around my way if you competed your portfolio and NVQ. You seem switched on but until your working competently by yourself you won't fetch much past £10 an hour. Pricing where I live is tight.

As for the driving you shouldn't rely on others to transport you about at your age. Your boss can't throw you out on your own for the day to test you if you can't drive. That will lower your employability

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Only on £50 a day. Just feel like I should be on more by now. Just needed a clue of what I was worth. Don't think I'll leave him for less than £90 I couldn't justify letting him down. He'd have to find someone shite and start all over with them and I don't think he has the patience. Hahaha

13. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    £90 /day seems more realistic than £50. your boss is taking the proverbial. £50 for 8 hours is below minimum wage, so he's breaking the law.

14. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I agree to be fair. I definitely need to be driving but money's tight with a kid and rent and all that. Need to sort it though. Just lucky he lives right by me

15. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

He's a third year apprentice so minimum wage is a lot less, around the £3 mark I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

Yeah I think someone has convinced him to give me 60 because wage is going up soon... Whenever he wants I dunno.

17. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Wrong. You do need to, make it your next and most important objective. As @LankyWill@LankyWill noted (which I missed) it is a p.i.t.a to have to sort out improvers/workers transport, especially as you are grown up. That would downgrade my wage structure above for a start.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I'm 25 so minimum wage isn't 3 pound an hour at all. I'm an apprentice but I get an adults wage, legally.

19. Jonny Rocket

Jonny Rocket EF Member

I agree mate. It's really difficult at the moment but it's gonna be my next investment. Get my driving sorted and all. He has never minded picking me up and we usually work together so it's never been an issue. But it has hindered me in a way.

20. LankyWill

LankyWill Electrician's Arms

£90 seems way too much, I may sound like a tight barsteward. I was on £24 a day doing 12 hour shifts when I was an apprentice. I had to drive myself to the yard in the morning, and sort my 33 year old bosses life out. I felt like his psychiatrist in the end, but eventually when I passed my am2 I moved straight up to £120 a day. Then I was working as his subby doing fixes myself for him. I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds you if your not far off qualifying.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2