Discuss Finally! No more faffing about with Sleeve! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment EarthSure - No More Sleeving 👀.mp4

Edit by Admin: just testing something. I added that video directly to the post by clicking the three dots and finding the insert a video button. Ideally, we need pinch them and host them ourselves. They can report the video/post.

Last edited by a moderator:
The place would become one big ad to meet the cost of hosting.
We have space and bandwidth. We had to, to out pace ddos attacks a few years back. Then we would just have a couple of ads on that kinda page. As you're not scrolling it's just whats in view on first visit.

I'll dig around see if I can find some that aren't part of somebody's yt income like.

It was what I chose the massive super fast ssd's on a octocore chip for in the first place. It just never really got used that way.

Can populate the area with YT embedded videos and then they get their income, its on a page that we have an ad on, and it isn't part of our space then.

Food for thought 🤔

Loads and loads more plastic on 1000's and 1000's of metres of cable which is not even needed! Awful.

...at least it will stop the DIy daves from just twisting all the bare earths together under one pieve of sheeve

It wasn't DIY Daves who did it on occasions I find twisted earths in a single piece of sleeve. Poor Dave gets blamed for all the carp work turned out by time served electricians 😁

Not a problem for me as I am down to my last few metres of G/Y sleeve. won't be buying another hank. I will be converting over to earthsure cable once I run out of my current T&E

Not a problem for me as I am down to my last few metres of G/Y sleeve. won't be buying another hank. I will be converting over to earthsure cable once I run out of my current T&E
Dusty, try and think a bit beyond the few minutes it will save on a consumer unit change compared to the impact on the environment.

Basically 5 minutes of time saved for a human being = 1kg of plastic (just pulling a figure out of thin air to illustrate the point)

It just doesn't make sense. Money is important, time saving is important, working more efficiently is important, a comfortable life is important, but it all needs to be weighed against the impact it causes. In this case there is a massive over balance between time saved and impact on the environment.

On average 80metres of extra plastic on a new ring when all you need to about 1m (sockets and CU).
10cm of plastic surrounding 1.5mm earth weighs (approx) 1g
therefore 79m = 79g wasted

On average lets say 250m cable used with a new build (1mm, 2.5mm, 6mm).
Roughly 250g wasted plastic.

200,000 new homes being built every year = 50,000kg of wasted plastic, just on new builds. 50 tonnes of crappy plastic to save a few minutes of popping a small piece of plastic over a few cm's of bare copper.

But if installed properly a new circuit in brand new pvc pvc cable 'should' last 100 years and more...
So I don't really buy into the 'wasted' pvc argument. I throw away loads off off cuts of sheeve every week that I either cut too short or pulled off a bit of old cable. I rarely throw away cable unless its a very short piece or very end of s drum

What about gripping the bare cpc with pliers and pulling it as a way of stripping t&e.

I don’t think the insulation on the new stuff will cope well.

(Yes. I know. Tongue is most firmly in cheek)

Reply to Finally! No more faffing about with Sleeve! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net