Discuss Fire alarm panel & velux kf120 in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

marc8

-
Reaction score
Hi all
just pricing block of flats with 2 AOV panels one over the protected stairwell & the other over a cupboard that is over the top of each floor (each floor has cupboard door).
Been asked that as normal fire system sets off the AOV panel or set off AOV panel & AOV opens, but have been asked that whatever zone on fire panel goes off the door on the corresponding landing will open & the others will remain electrically locked, my question is will this work & how do they I set this up?
I am thinking that addressable fire alarm system using the floors for each zone, when that zone is activated the AOV will activate & the door will open for that landing whilst other landings stay locked.
Would fire alarm panel have this facility (relay or nc / no).
Looking at running power supply to each door location & then FP from alarm panel to each door location.
Probably there is a piece of kit but I am behind the times

Car park is quite a risk area and should be cover with heats.OK the output units are wired anywhere on the normal loop, and are basic dry relay contacts, upto 16 amps. Easiest way to do this is 3 ring patterns. With all detection/sounders being pattern 1, and each output unit be 2 & 3.

Ok so the output units are from smoke head for instance on each floor as a relay output, then local power supply to each door as that zone is activated the door opens ?

The output units are standalone boxed same size as double socket, or can be din rail type. so can be fitted anywhere on the loop as is goes around the building. So you have a flexible choice. have velux panels on each floor with output units next to them, or have both velux panel together.

Both AOV will be fed by the same box they are quite close & the doors are directly below so all good for cabling. Great will put all in the riser next to each other.
Any panel you recommend will give control of system?

Just out of curiosity - why are they asking for the AOV's to only open on the level the FA has activated?
Surely it is better to have all of them open?

For a former company we had a 9 storey building with AOVs on each level within a cupboard but if the alarm goes off they all open.
Just curiosity

Hi poult12
building contractor representative mentioned this was what they wanted during their meeting with their building control & fire officer, I mentioned that I would have had all levels opening together but he has said no. In truth if all the units are at same location then if he has misunderstood their instructions then can change it round if that makes sense.
Aov's to open both at same time, fire door in that corridor to open on that zone if that makes sense

Some consultants think if there is a second outbreak, or the fire spreads to another floor, the open vent would extract smoke away from the detectors. So not giving a second activation.

Some consultants think if there is a second outbreak, or the fire spreads to another floor, the open vent would extract smoke away from the detectors. So not giving a second activation.

Even if a second outbreak the alarm already going off - no one should be waiting around for a second surely?
Well we know this but some just have no common sense.

Also with the fire door opening on the level is it not wise to be having all open to clear the exit route - which is what AOVs designed for?
Or am i being stupid

Hi poult12
no there are 2 AOV's one in the protected stairwell all levels,
2nd is in a cupboard just off the hallways to flats each level own door.
My explanation in words may not be the easiest to understand

Automatic opening vents, or windows in this case....All depends on building layout, if you have a fully open staircase, its pointless zoning them. If there are fire doors to each floor, sealing the levels, then zoning maybe be a decision to take...Its more for the indication than anything, if you see one zone light, second floor you know its contained, if there are 3 or 4 zones lite, its a raging inferno.

Hi tazz

both are AOV on drawing but one in protected stairwell, other on landings with door per floor. are you thinking of zoning the protected stairwell at same time, or would you open this regardless of location of fire, this was my thought open both AOV panels regardless of what zone & only the door on level of activation (cupboard door of level)

Reply to Fire alarm panel & velux kf120 in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net