• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DaniQ

-
Reaction score
My partner and I bought our first house a week ago. We don't have much DIY experience but we are determined to learn and do as much work as we can to save cost.

The house is a 3bed an ex-council house built in 1959 and needs a complete refurbishment.

The existing CU is not too old (pvc wires) but we have to add sockets, electric shower...and we prefer to get it upgraded. Please see photos.

I have had an electrician having a look a few hours ago. He said he can move the CU 180 degrees facing the hall with the length of the existing cables. He quoted me £250 for moving the CU, including new CU.

He said he could install the following CU:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...dual-rcd-consumer-unit/2920g?_requestid=39295

If I replace it I would like to get a good quality one with space for more modules and individual ring per floor for the lights and sockets, 2 sockets outside, an electric shower, induction cooker, oven...

I am thinking something Like:
RCD 1
32A Upstairs Ring Main
6A Upstairs lights
6A Smoke Detector
16A????? Immersion heater - in case the gas boiler fails

RCD 2
32A Kitchen Ring Main
32A Downstairs Ring Main
6A Downstairs Lights
45A Cooker

Do you think I could reuse the RCBOs from my current CU for the new one :
RCBO 1
Electric Shower (9-10kw)

RCBO 2
Outside sockets or kitchen sockets

My questions are:

1. Could you recommend a better Consumer Unit?

2. Would it be to much work and too expensive to split the existing ring socket and lights per floor? Or should just leave as it is?

3. What do you think about using the RCBO for shower and outside or kitchen socket?

4. Could you please arrange the two RCDs in a better way?

5. Do you think the MCD specs are OK (amps)?

6. What do you think about this job for £250?

Thank you very much. We are quite stressed wih the refurbishment and your help would be much appreciated.

FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit 1.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit 2.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Your fuse board can be considered obsolete So replacing it with a new unit is the way forward and it's highly unlikely that any posts from the old unit would fit a new unit.

As for the price, I would say it's on the low side... Considering it should include a full rest of the existing unit , production of the EIC and part p if you are in England or Wales

As for splitting the house into more circuits, this may not be possible without considerable work.

Maybe get another quote.

Edit. I now remember your earlier posts...... So consider all the options, and prices before you start

My advice would be not to have an electric shower, they are inferior to a proper plumbed in shower with a hot and cold water feed, this way you can have thermostatic control and a pumped feed for a good pressure. Electric showers are notoriously unreliable and rarely give good performance.

Plus of course having the biggest electricity supply in the house terminated just above the bath and in the same cheap plastic box as a mains water feed really doesn't sound like a good idea.

Just to add a dual rcd cu with just 5 circuits means you would lose 2 or 3 circuits if a rcd trips.... Ask about RCBO boards...

The consumer unit you link to is fine as the circuits stand at the moment, but if you wanted to split up circuits and add circuits then you would want a larger consumer unit.
Any of the main manufacturers consumer units should be OK.
Hager, Wylex, MK, Crabtree, BG, MEM, Schneider, Lewden.

Remember a consumer unit change does not cover modifying or adding any circuits, this is a completely different job.

Changing a circuit that is spread over two floors into two circuits one on each floor would very often mean just rewiring the entire circuit into two circuits from scratch, if you were very lucky with the current wiring layout you might be able to just split the circuit up into two but generally (especially if you are already adding sockets) the rewire of the circuits is the easiest option.
A lighting circuit is often more straightforward to separate out than a socket circuit.

The existing parts that you have are obsolete and reusing them would not be a good idea or particularly cheaper.

Generally a dual RCD consumer unit is split up so that lights and sockets on the same floors are separated, a downstairs ring would be separated from a kitchen ring the boiler and immersion heater would be separated.
These separations are so that if one side fails there is still some electric power on each floor/ a way to heat water, etc. on the other side.
Your proposed split does not do this, ask your electrician for advice on that one, you have also not listed the central heating circuit which you would need.
Using an all RCBO consumer unit would avoid these splitting problems but would cost more to install.

The MCB ratings are standard except a cooker would usually be 32A.

£250 is very cheap for a consumer unit change and relocation.

I have stopped using the BG boards due to numerous problems with them over the past year or so. I have gone back to using Hager.

Splitting the RFC and lights is a good idea if possible. But it may not be that easy, and there are unknown aspects about the best way to do it, so it would be hard to price. There may well be two circuits on that lighting MCB so it could be split already without you realising.

RCD protection on showers is a must. I don't know of any manufacturers that will not state that.

Let the spark decide on the individual cct details in relation to current rating.

£250.00 is too cheap in my view.

Thank you for all youur answers.
The consumer unit you link to is fine as the circuits stand at the moment, but if you wanted to split up circuits and add circuits then you would want a larger consumer unit.
Any of the main manufacturers consumer units should be OK.
Hager, Wylex, MK, Crabtree, BG, MEM, Schneider, Lewden.

Remember a consumer unit change does not cover modifying or adding any circuits, this is a completely different job.

Changing a circuit that is spread over two floors into two circuits one on each floor would very often mean just rewiring the entire circuit into two circuits from scratch, if you were very lucky with the current wiring layout you might be able to just split the circuit up into two but generally (especially if you are already adding sockets) the rewire of the circuits is the easiest option.
A lighting circuit is often more straightforward to separate out than a socket circuit.

The existing parts that you have are obsolete and reusing them would not be a good idea or particularly cheaper.

Generally a dual RCD consumer unit is split up so that lights and sockets on the same floors are separated, a downstairs ring would be separated from a kitchen ring the boiler and immersion heater would be separated.
These separations are so that if one side fails there is still some electric power on each floor/ a way to heat water, etc. on the other side.
Your proposed split does not do this, ask your electrician for advice on that one, you have also not listed the central heating circuit which you would need.
Using an all RCBO consumer unit would avoid these splitting problems but would cost more to install.

The MCB ratings are standard except a cooker would usually be 32A.

£250 is very cheap for a consumer unit change and relocation.

Could you please explain me what you mean with?

"Using an all RCBO consumer unit would avoid these splitting problems but would cost more to install."

Thank you

My advice would be not to have an electric shower, they are inferior to a proper plumbed in shower with a hot and cold water feed, this way you can have thermostatic control and a pumped feed for a good pressure. Electric showers are notoriously unreliable and rarely give good performance.

Plus of course having the biggest electricity supply in the house terminated just above the bath and in the same cheap plastic box as a mains water feed really doesn't sound like a good idea.

At the moment I have an old gas boiler with a small immersion tank. Then If I have a bath the next person would have to wait the water to heat. Also If I connect a Pumped Electric Shower to the water tank in the loft that supplies the water to the boiler I could have person having a bath and another having a shower downstairs at the same time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It means that in the event of a certain type of fault you would only lose the one circuit affected, and not 4-5 circuits that go through one RCD.
RCBO boards are more expensive as the individual RCBOs cost around £25 each. RCBO board costs around £300, whereas a dual RCD board around a £100.

Agree with DS that a shower off the boiler is much better than an electric shower. I have done myself out of work a couple of times recommending this instead of a new shower circuit.

If you have a consumer unit changed, it is notifiable to building control. Usually done by the electrician via scheme membership (NICEIC, ELECSA, etc.). There is a good chance your work was not going to be notified, which would be a problem if/when you come to sell and the buyer wants the paperwork. Or in the event of some major problem, like a fire, when this might be requested by the insurer.

Your last thread in the same vain ran to over thirty posts with experienced electricians giving their opinion. A few weeks later you come back saying you have found some chancer who is not only going to replace your consumer unit but also relocate it for a mere £250 and now you want more advise, not from me.

You have stated you are new to this kind of building work and I fear you are going to go over budget and get very stressed about it all. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you are starting from scratch, rewire the whole house and get it the way you want it. Do not go for half measures it will be more expensive in the long run. If you cannot afford to rewire to the spec. get a report on the condition of existing wiring to see what needs to be done. I would not even get out of bed to change a consumer unit for £250.00. Unless you realistically have the money to refurb I suggest you don't go there it will end in tears.

Your last thread in the same vain ran to over thirty posts with experienced electricians giving their opinion. A few weeks later you come back saying you have found some chancer who is not only going to replace your consumer unit but also relocate it for a mere £250 and now you want more advise, not from me.
You have stated you are new to this kind of building work and I fear you are going to go over budget and get very stressed about it all. If it aint broke don't fix it. If you are starting from scratch, rewire the whole house and get it the way you want it. Do not go for half measures it will be more expensive in the long run. If you cannot afford to rewire to the spec. get a report on the condition of existing wiring to see what needs to be done. I would not even get out of bed to change a consumer unit for £250.00. Unless you realistically have the money to refurb I suggest you don't go there it will end in tears.

I appreciate your advise and I will take it on board. To arrange the kitchen how we want we have to turn 180degrees the CU. It is not a full reallocation.

Following your advises I'm considering to don't go over the top with the electrics and just replace the CU without splitting the rings per floor.

Do you think I could have all the lights in the house on a single MCD ?

Same for the sockets? One MCD for the kitchen, another MCD fo the rest of the house?

Then Do you think this would be ok:

RCD 1
32A Socket Ring Main
6A Smoke Detector
16A Immersion heater - in case the gas boiler fails
40A Electric Shower
16A Outside Sockets

RCD 2
32A Kitchen Ring Main
6A Ring Lights
32A Induction Hob
6A Gas Boiler
32A Separate Oven

Thank you

Why are you not asking these questions to your Polish electrician?
£250.00 is far too cheap. I wouldn't swap a CU for that, let alone relocate one.
You get what you pay for, as you are going to find out.

Has your proposed electrician checked the main protective bonding, as well as advising about the poor bonding clamp currently providing your main earthing connection? Has he asked you request a pme terminal be fitted? Has he done any preliminary checks? Will the new CU postion be within 3 metres of the service head when relocated?
Good luck....I'm out.

Reply to FIRST HOME - Help with new Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back