Discuss Wood Cabin Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Currently I have a Henley block which has 2 consumer units. 1 of these CU feeds a garden supply and garage. Out in the garden which is fed by a 16mm 3 core swa and is fused at 63amps with rcbo feeding sockets lights etc.
I have now built a cabin further down the garden and want to provide another CU in it for sockets and lights. It will be an outside office. I can’t run a feed back to the house so my question is can I take an additional feed of off the garden CU into the cabin and have another CU there. If so what would be the Fuse Isolator rating for the new CU in the cabin. I do have enough 10mm 3 core swa to run to the cabin. Assume no heavy loads on Garden or Cabin as it’s all low power stuff.

Thanks for advice.

63A seems a bit hefty for a garage supply…. Is it just “sockets and lights” or is there some heavy duty workshop, sauna or hot tub out there?

Some entire houses are only 60A

Same with the 10mm extension…. That can carry about 50A just on its own.

Ok… if it’s used as an office, there might be a couple computers and monitors.. printer? Plug in heater for the colder days?

The length of cable run can make a difference… any idea how long the existing 16mm is, and then the proposed extra bit?

Currently I have a Henley block which has 2 consumer units. 1 of these CU feeds a garden supply and garage. Out in the garden which is fed by a 16mm 3 core swa and is fused at 63amps with rcbo feeding sockets lights etc.
I have now built a cabin further down the garden and want to provide another CU in it for sockets and lights. It will be an outside office. I can’t run a feed back to the house so my question is can I take an additional feed of off the garden CU into the cabin and have another CU there. If so what would be the Fuse Isolator rating for the new CU in the cabin. I do have enough 10mm 3 core swa to run to the cabin. Assume no heavy loads on Garden or Cabin as it’s all low power stuff.

Thanks for advice.
You could just use a spare way (If you have one) off the garage sub main with a 40 amp mcb

63A seems a bit hefty for a garage supply…. Is it just “sockets and lights” or is there some heavy duty workshop, sauna or hot tub out there?

Ok… if it’s used as an office, there might be a couple computers and monitors.. printer? Plug in heater for the colder days?

The length of cable run can make a difference… any idea how long the existing 16mm is, and then the proposed extra bit?
The 16mm is 20 meters from the henley block and run to the cabin will be 10 meters.

The garden supply will have a 7kw sauna at a later date which has the 16mm swa 3 core to it

Attachments

• cabin cu.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Wood Cabin Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net