Discuss First Steps To Becoming A Domestic Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

For some reason a lot of people seem to naturally assume that electrical training is completely modular in that you learn how to do different things each week and you can just stop at any time and be 'allowed' to do everything you have learned up until that point.
That is not the case.
Also the path to becoming an electrician doesn't begin with 'domestic installer' changing sockets in houses before moving on to rewires or new builds or whatever to eventually becoming a commercial or industrial electrician - that would be like trying to work your way up to being a Michelin star chef by working in a sweet shop.

The way to learn the theory is to do the 2365 technical certificate, then complete the NVQ3 while working as a trainee or mate.
The 'qualification' for working as a mate is to have started the course and/or have someone who will give you work. Chances are a lot of employers will be put off by someone who has only done a load of 'expansion pack' courses without having even attempted to play the game.

Trying to tack a load of short courses together would be like trying to buy your first car from a scrapyard bit by bit - by the end of it all you'll have is a load of bits which may or may not fit together, there'll be a load of bits missing, and people will look at you as if you're a dick.

I don't think there will be many people here who will be able to give advice on short courses - either we scare them off, they realise we weren't just bitter because we took 3 years to do what they managed to compress into a few weeks, or they realise beginning a lucrative new career where they can be their own boss, pick and choose their hours and earn up to £50,747 isn't as easy as the training centre made it out to be when they sold them the course.

£150 quids not bad im currently on 8.50ph and work all sorts of shifts :lol:

£150 is terrible as by the time you have deducted materials, expenses, overheads (insurance, fuel etc) notification fee and all the other stuff you'll be lucky to see £50 of that for a day's work plus paperwork time in the evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:1eye:
I dont want to "short cut" but if i can gain enough qulifications to become a electricans mate for a year or 2 id be sorted while i continue to train and gain more papers

You know as well as i do theres enough cowboys out there... shoulda seen my electrics here when i moved in came with a rewire new cu and a part p.... the lectrics wouldnt stay on more than a day without tripping ...

Electricians mate is a posh word for a labourer, you don't need any more qualifications than the ability to push a broom and carry heavy stuff around the site.
It is not a trainee position, although some electricians will treat the mates better than others do.

Yeah ive come for advice and am asking the questions to see whats best to do. £50,747 would surely pay for the courses tho in no time :punk:

.....also my first car was a scrapyard fiat uno :oops::oops:

Its not a quick fix im after buddy. And ive taken everything on board, its why im here. but ....the less time i have off work the better. I dont get regular days and nights off or weekends thats my issue currently. The level 2 aint bad at all. Would that see me as a electricans mate tho by itself as i do lv3 and nvq?

Then get yourself on the full courses or even better an apprenticeship. Anything else is a quick fix shortcut, regardless of how you manage to convince yourself otherwise.

Out of interest what job are you currently doing? And how long did it take you to train?

£150 is terrible as by the time you have deducted materials, expenses, overheads (insurance, fuel etc) notification fee and all the other stuff you'll be lucky to see £50 of that for a day's work plus paperwork time in the evening.

Yes mate but i take home not a whole lot more than 50 quid a day now as a security maniger at a supermarket
I would happily labour for someone who was paying me even minimum wage as long as i was learning a trade.

Then get yourself on the full courses or even better an apprenticeship. Anything else is a quick fix shortcut, regardless of how you manage to convince yourself otherwise.

Out of interest what job are you currently doing? And how long did it take you to train?

I did an apprenticeship in engineering when i left school took me 3 years to complete to nvqlv3 including cnc programming. I got out of engineering tho a few years ago. Its starting to go abroad too much. I am now a security maniger at a supermarket that took me under a year to get nvq lv2 in retail security and helped me progress

Yeah ive come for advice and am asking the questions to see whats best to do. £50,747 would surely pay for the courses tho in no time :punk:

.....also my first car was a scrapyard fiat uno :oops::oops:

If any course is advertising itself by dangling a carrot of promised earnings in front of you, you can almost be sure of two things. 1, the course is not the one you want to embark on a serious career as an electrician, 2, the figure is most likely plucked out of thin air.

I did an apprenticeship in engineering when i left school took me 3 years to complete to nvqlv3 including cnc programming. I got out of engineering tho a few years ago. Its starting to go abroad too much. I am now a security maniger at a supermarket that took me under a year to get nvq lv2 in retail security and helped me progress

Ok, and if someone came to you asking about a quicker/shorter way of achieving that same engineering qualification what kind of answer would you give them?

Ok, and if someone came to you asking about a quicker/shorter way of achieving that same engineering qualification what kind of answer would you give them?

Id say don t bother it was a waste of time and almost useless in this county now.. the cnc would be worth doing but i could teach that in a few days its simple

Yes mate but i take home not a whole lot more than 50 quid a day now as a security maniger at a supermarket
I would happily labour for someone who was paying me even minimum wage as long as i was learning a trade.

You won't learn much of a trade by labouring.
The apprentices will be learning the trade and the labourers will be cleaning up their mess.

The apprentices will be learning the trade and the labourers will be cleaning up their mess.

I kinda get that but if there taking on labourer they wouldnt have an apprentice would they? I wouldnt wanna blow my own trupet but im a fast learner and ive gone for city amd guilds qualifications in the jobs ive been in to further better myself. I am keen and i have a thurst for knowledge and want to know how and more importantly why things are done the way they are

I kinda get that but if there taking on labourer they wouldnt have an apprentice would they? I wouldnt wanna blow my own trupet but im a fast learner and ive gone for city amd guilds qualifications in the jobs ive been in to further better myself. I am keen and i have a thurst for knowledge and want to know how and more importantly why things are done the way they are

Yes they would have apprentices and labourers. Apprentices are not labourers and should never be treated as such.
The fact that you have suggested an apprentice could be treated as a labourer inspires me to give you no help at all.

I think it depends on the site and that person's situation - I couldn't get an apprenticeship so had to go the adult trainee way gaining experience working as a mate. On a few sites I was paired up with an electrician to learn stuff, while there were other mates who were literally just given the labouring jobs.
Other sites I was treated like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was £100 that was 15years ago it ran and was roadworth...complete...maybe not i did have to do the head gasket on it tho....:45:

I think it depends on the site and that person's situation - I couldn't get an apprenticeship so had to go the adult trainee way gaining experience working as a mate. On a few sites I was paired up with an electrician to learn stuff, while there were other mates who were literally just given the labouring jobs.
Other sites I was treated like crap.

But now your qualified and loving it? How old were you went you started?

It was £100 that was 15years ago it ran and was roadworth...complete...maybe not i did have to do the head gasket on it tho....:45:

So what you did there was you bought the car, then you bought an add-on to enhance it, you didn't buy a panel, a seat or a bit of the engine as and when you could, otherwise it would have cost a lot more, taken longer, and you may have had a load of parts missing at the end of it without realising it.

What I was getting at is it's the same with electrical courses - before you have anything you can add to you need to do the main course (2365), which will include everything contained in courses such as the 2392 and 2393, but it will relate better to everything else you're learning, for example you'll learn how to install circuits and learn how to test those circuits, not one or the other, and you'll learn how to install to regulations, not just hear some guy standing up and talking about them.

But now your qualified and loving it? How old were you went you started?
I was 25 when I started. I was earning about £6.50/hr in a call centre which I hated. They wouldn't give me Mondays off to go to college so I told them to shove it and I did washing up in a restaurant for the first year until I could get work as an electricians mate, for £7.50/hr.
It wasn't easy, in fact when the recession hit it was particularly hard, but I stuck with it and did everything properly. It certainly wasn't a 'fast-track', it took me twice as long as an apprenticeship because I didn't have a company to guide me through it, but it gave me a greater sense of satisfaction at the end of it.

Reply to First Steps To Becoming A Domestic Electrician? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net