Discuss Fixing to Stone Roofs in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stelip

Hi,

I need to quote a customer for fixing solar PV to a stone roof.

Can anyone suggest any fixings?

StoneRoof.jpg

Any one done a stone roof before, any photos of the installation

Its just come into me from one of our survey team so I am not sure what its like under the roof or how they are fixed. I just know we havn;t done one of these before, and it wasn't on the training course....

well the survey team need be surveying in the attic don't they? I'm not trying to be clever, and I know this isn't helping you.

You'll need to look in the attic mate, it could be as rotten as a pear as well.

Need to check the sub-structure of the roof e.g. Rafters, etc. In my experience anything not tiled can be a nightmare so dont rush your quote, working with slate tiles added an extra day to one of my installs as lifting these was quite a nightmare. Dont be tempted to use hanger bolts penetrating the roof, this will give you problems later on. Good luck!

Could be worth trying an in-roof system. Sounds silly but them roofs are a nightmare.

Think you will find there are 3 slates covering each bit of the roof. Just like a normal slate roof, removing just one slate involves removing a good chunk of the roof. Also the slates will be deceptively long at least 2.5 times as long as the visual bit meaning any normal type anchor will need to be really long making it less stable.

I've used a ubbink solution before (see Pics) adds about a day or two to a 4.0kw install but its a better job and looks good too. You could do with a friendly roofer though to strip roof then allow you install base structure. he can then re-roof whist you install inverters + cabling e.t.c. Probably will only add half day to your labour then.

DSC02367.jpgDSC02398.jpgDSC02437.jpg

Could be worth trying an in-roof system. Sounds silly but them roofs are a nightmare.

Think you will find there are 3 slates covering each bit of the roof. Just like a normal slate roof, removing just one slate involves removing a good chunk of the roof. Also the slates will be deceptively long at least 2.5 times as long as the visual bit meaning any normal type anchor will need to be really long making it less stable.

I've used a ubbink solution before (see Pics) adds about a day or two to a 4.0kw install but its a better job and looks good too. You could do with a friendly roofer though to strip roof then allow you install base structure. he can then re-roof whist you install inverters + cabling e.t.c. Probably will only add half day to your labour then.

View attachment 7058View attachment 7059View attachment 7060

Hi - Ive got my first in-roof booked in, ive sold him the renusol system, but looking at yours it seems to be the same brackets and plastic backing, did you have put any side gutters on? i cant see from your photos - do you have any tips?

The supplier I used first sent me the Renusol info but changed to a Ubbink before the order was finalised. Both look like good systems but not sure of the suppliers reasons for the change.

Yes the system did use side gutters. Actually they work really well, (see pic.)

Tips? Try to get some laths the same thickness as the existing, this makes the roll sit flatter.
You may need to remove the ridge to do the job correctly. This can be tricky if the old ridge has been cemented on really well, expect a breakage.
If the roof has a tabling fitted (fancy stone work up the sides that sticks up above the slate height) do your best to avoid removing these. They are bloody big, heavy and difficult to refit without walking on slates or scaffolding around the sides.
Do avoid a step between the bottom of the roll and the bottom slates. This will fill with water and freeze in winter or collect alge in summer.

The roof pictured was 140 years old so was a major job as everything needed replacing. We have since installed a similar system on a 20 year old stone slate roof and it was much simpler. We did end up replacing the felt for the customer though.

Good luck!DSC02379.jpg

Fantastic thread, just what I'm looking for. A solar company has come to install a 4kw system onto a stone roof and tried to use brackets breaking lots of slates.

I'm a builder and roofer and have to say this looks like just the solution. Can't believe they didn't know about it!

Thanks
dave

Reply to Fixing to Stone Roofs in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net