Search the forum,

Discuss flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have always used conduit in raggles usually PVC but sometimes steel.
capping is more of a faff and has little protection.
i went to a job that the old wife wanted 3 wall lights done seperate switch req.
2 walls lath and plaster could get down them.
switch wall solid brick.
took the switch off to find the twin had been buried in the wall and not tubed.
if it was tubed I could have dropped a sw wire down it and not disturbed any decor.
as it stood it was gonna make a mess so job did not go ahead.
all due to someone previous cutting corners in my eyes.
the op point of can he wire a house in flexi conduit?
yeah sure you can you'll be there a while mind...

but what about plastering over flexipipe and singles, mechanical protection is provided, is there alternative to awful t+e?
instalacion-electrica-domestica-6.jpg

depends on the flexible conduit used really,

if its the bog-roll thin plastic ribbed carp then not much at all, but if its decent old school Kopex type then it would be quite good protection (if hellishly expensive)

depends on the flexible conduit used really,

if its the bog-roll thin plastic ribbed carp then not much at all, but if its decent old school Kopex type then it would be quite good protection (if hellishly expensive)

Ahuh. Decent metal Kopex would probably work out ten times more the cost of heavy duty rigid PVC and not offer any more significant degree of mechanical impact protection. The only thing that will stop a drill, screw, or nail is rigid steel conduit.
By the time the OP has buggered about with his flexi pipe idea, he may as well have put in a fully tubed rigid steel system I reckon.

Even steel conduit wont stop the most determined of carpenters with a brand new drill bit!

No matter how idiot proof you make a system there is always a bigger idiot waiting in the wings!

Even steel conduit wont stop the most determined of carpenters with a brand new drill bit!

No matter how idiot proof you make a system there is always a bigger idiot waiting in the wings!

Very true. There are some brutish oafs around.
I thought the OP was getting at the sort of mechanical protection that would negate the use of RCDs for buried cables, which metal flexi would not.

Very true. There are some brutish oafs around.
I thought the OP was getting at the sort of mechanical protection that would negate the use of RCDs for buried cables, which metal flexi would not.

You don't need mechanical protection to negate the use of RCDs, just an earthed metallic armour or screen will do. That's what flexishield is for, built to BS 8436, or SWA.

You might want to rewire your house in gold cables insulated with aardvarks, as long as the regs don't say no then crack on. If you want to rewire someone else's in those materials you may find your quote puts you out of the running.
Same with flex conduit.

You don't need mechanical protection to negate the use of RCDs, just an earthed metallic armour or screen will do. That's what flexishield is for, built to BS 8436, or SWA.

Thanks for that. Just had to re-read 522.6 though to see where I had gone wrong. Never used the flexi shield stuff yet.

I should probably add that I have never conducted an IR test on an aardvark so I have no idea as to their conductivity or their value as an insulator.

I should probably add that I have never conducted an IR test on an aardvark so I have no idea as to their conductivity or their value as an insulator.

0.51Mohms per meter mate. A female aardvark comes in at around 0.64Mohms per meter though. You'd be better off using platypus however, this brings in a stonking 1.52Mohms per meter on average. A cracking insulator if you ask me!

0.51Mohms per meter mate. A female aardvark comes in at around 0.64Mohms per meter though. You'd be better off using platypus however, this brings in a stonking 1.52Mohms per meter on average. A cracking insulator if you ask me!

Thanks Damian, I'm not going to ask about the circumstances behind those test results mate. I honestly think there are some things I'm better off not knowing.

All the females I've tried to test have a much higher resistance than that......someone suggested they offer less resistance in Grimsby,if anyone can confirm that I'll book a trip.

All the females I've tried to test have a much higher resistance than that......someone suggested they offer less resistance in Grimsby,if anyone can confirm that I'll book a trip.

Being not far from Grimsby I can confirm the supplied information is true. The low resistance seems to be from the amount of rods they have had installed into them.
I would however not suggest a trip there under any circumstance other than under strong sedatives.

Reply to flexible conduit, CAN YOU WIRE A HOUSE WITH IT? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back