Discuss Freesat in multiple rooms. in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lofty

Hi All,
Got a customer who originallly was going to just get TV's with Freeview built in so co-ax runs have been fed (singles) to the rooms requied. all these cables 'terminate ' in the attic ready for the aerial feed to a dis box and thus out to the rooms. Now he wants to have Freesat in all the rooms :eek:, and realises that he will need to get a Freesat box pre TV but the question is can you distribute / split the signal from the dish ?
Thanks in advance.

Lofty.

Hi,
It's a rewire of the house so no TV sorted as yet. he's changed his mind AFTER the co-ax was put in and plastered !! Typical customer , thinks we can work miracles !.
basically we've put in 6 runs to 6 rooms all terminating in the attic as we were told 1 aerial was to be fitted into a distribution box and he would get Freeview TV's, now he want's to get Freesat BUT only have 1 dish then he thought we could 'just simply' split the LNB output via the same distribution box and he would then get Freesat boxes as and when required. He's going to come a cropper in the kitchen as his wife wants a flip down TV in there and i don't think she's the sort of person who is going to budge on her decision and don't think she's going to put up with having a Freesat box in there !.

Cheers,
lofty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Topquark.
Thanks for the link, just had a look and see what you mean. Def looks to be multiple LNB's through a multiswitch. plus if I read it correctly if the 'TV' aerial signal is added the kitchen one will be OK provided of course they get one with DTV capabilities. Or am i wrong ?.

Cheers,
Lofty.

Hi Topquark.
Thanks for the link, just had a look and see what you mean. Def looks to be multiple LNB's through a multiswitch. plus if I read it correctly if the 'TV' aerial signal is added the kitchen one will be OK provided of course they get one with DTV capabilities. Or am i wrong ?.

Cheers,
Lofty.

You can add in the TV signal via most multiswitches and then run the combined signal down each of the sat cables, but you'll need the TV/Sat splitter accessory to peel off the TV signal down in the kitchen. The only time the single down feed won't help is if the devices they are using need watch while record capability in which case you'll need two feeds to that room (and a dual sat accessory (one of which separates the TV signal)).

That's assuming that your downfeed are sat cable and not just terrestrial coax.

Hi,
Thanks for the additional info. All cable is sat and not the 'standard' co-ax. So no problem there, I hope !!.
The Tv/Sat splitter would be a better option I think for the kitchen than a Freesat box.

Cheers,
Lofty.

Reply to Freesat in multiple rooms. in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net