Discuss Full rewire needed in new home...eeeek! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello,

Just bought a new home, kind of knowing the electrics would need updating, got an electrician out to do a few bits and bobs and he said the house basically needs a full rewire as soon as possible - eek! Thank god we haven't done any decorating yet! Its all come as a bit of a shock and we're first time buyers so have done some googling but thought this might be a good place to get some advice?

It's a four bed house built in 1960s, has old consumer unit with those wires wrapped round (never seen one of those in my life before this week!), and from bits and bobs we've done around the house we're not seeing much evidence of new wiring with grey pvc stuff.

From a bit of googling I'm getting the impression this is a £5-6k job, which will take about 10 days, and it would be best for us to move out during the time to let the electricians work. I'm also anticipating that this will involve a lot of bringing up floors and bashing through walls and ceilings...?

So my questions are:

House has had new kitchen and bathroom in last 5-10 years, am I being gullible to hope that these rooms might have already been rewired?

What's the best way of finding a good electrician who can get this sorted for us? We live in Paisley in Scotland.

Is there anything else I really need to think about?

Hi Annabelle

We are glasgow based if you would like us to come out to have a look and provide a quotation should the property need rewiring .

If you would like us to come and have a look please drop me a message

Regards
Garreth

Udell Electrical Services

I amazes me, that the most expensive purchase you make in life, is one upon which people will not pay out for a full structural survey
even though I have worked in the trade for three million years, when we looked to move to this house 20 years ago, I paid for a full survey
think it cost 1200 all in
report said
wiring dodgy and full of DIY work ( it had been split into bed sits )
C/H boiler U/S and need replacement
All sanitary ware needs replacing ( cracked due to frost damage whilst empty for so long)
Joists in 2 rooms rotten and needing repair
but the biggie
toilet installed by a bodger in the old kitchen cupboard,no sink, only one door between it and the kitchen ( building regs say 2 )
and the connection to the drain in the garage had been done by smashing the old ceramic pipe, and placing polythene bags and soil around it then back-filling

boiler and electrics we knew about

drainage cost something like 4 thousand pounds to dig the outside of the house up and replace it all with new, and fit new hoppers and a connection for a sink in the downstairs toilet
we got that off the price of the house, and half of the rest off the price
even with my poor maths thats money saved
always buy subject to survey
if they wont sell like that somethings badly wrong

if you buy a house with shared drains, common in Victorian terraced, you could be liable for a percentage of the drain under each house

if you buy a house next to an old church or chapel
get a survey to check that there are no Chancel repairs listed against it
( you could be liable for tens of thousands of pounds )

Update: Got a few electricians round and now I have a good number of quotes in for the rewire, so definitely going to bite the bullet and just get it all done.

I do just have one more question that I was wondering if you guys could help with - we obviously want everything done 'by the book', compliant with whatever it needs to be compliant with and certificated properly.....

We've got a quote from a company who's NIC EIC registration has expired/ended - but they are telling that it would still be certified. I think I might be a bit confused about what it all means.

I thought I read something about it needing to be done by an NICEIC approved installer or it would need to be certified by a third party or something...or not compliant with building regs. Feeling like I've got myself a bit muddled, can someone who knows the rules in Scotland help me out?

If the NICEIC registration has lapsed then i am not sure how they are going to notify the job and issue the building regs certificate afterwards?
They may well rejoin or be joining another scheme... likwise they could have been kicked out for poor work?
If in doubt ring the niceic up and ask for clarification over the companies status... better safe than sorry.
It doesn't have to be a NICEIC company there are other schemes such as Elecsa, Stroma , Napit and one or two more obscure ones. but whoever they are with ring up the body and check and also verify the insurance certificate by asking for a copy and ringing the insurance firm who will happily verify it is authentic and the level of cover.
Another tip is do not pay all upfront for the work and some may disagree with me but hold some back until the end... when i do a rewire i take the money for materials and then take 1/3 on first fix/ the remainder minus 10% on 2nd fix and certification. the final 10% is when the paperwork comes through. only done this 4 times but it works for both parties and not had an issue with it yet.

OP as has been pointed, requirements for building regs are different in Scotland. There are Scottish members here, who may be along to give the relevant advice. Having seen similar discussions before, a warrant for a domestic rewire (house), was dependant on the property not having a storey above 4.5m (flat warrant required) + (with other caveats), I think!

It is the persons ordering the work responsibility, to ensure whether a warrant is needed or not. I would strongly suggests you contact your local building control, and seek guidance from them.

OP as has been pointed, requirements for building regs are different in Scotland. There are Scottish members here, who may be along to give the relevant advice. Having seen similar discussions before, a warrant for a domestic rewire (house), was dependant on the property not having a storey above 4.5m (flat warrant required) + (with other caveats), I think!

It is the persons ordering the work responsibility, to ensure whether a warrant is needed or not. I would strongly suggests you contact your local building control, and seek guidance from them.

Thanks for that @Midwest, and sorry I'm not trying to be annoying here - I understand its my responsibility and I know that rewires do not require a building warrant in Scotland (or at least not in my case as in detached house). The bit I don't understand is whether some sort of certification is still required etc, and even if not technically required, presumably some sort of accreditation/approval by something like NICEIC or the like would still be better. I'm embarrassed to say having trailed all the building reg, NICEIC, local authority, Scottish Government websites etc I still don't quite understand the difference between what is required and what is desirable in the case of a rewire.

I would recommend you contact your local building control, for advice on this matter. You should receive an Electrical Installation Certificate, as part of the works. As regards accreditation in Scotland, I wouldn't want to offer advice, in an area I have no experience. Give your building control a ring, I'm sure they would be only to happy to advise.

OP, unless you are in a flat Building Warrant is not required. However the Co doing the work should issue an Electrical Installation Certificate upon completion of the work. The two trade bodies in Scotland are the NICEIC and SELECT. A company doing electrical work does not require to be registered with either, but by choosing a company that is, you can be assured that they have the necessary PL insurance in place.
TBH you cannot beat personal recommendation of a company for work like this. As has been stated earlier, get a written quote ( not estimate) which details all info i.e. number of sockets in each room, dedicated circuits e.g. for an electric shower and type of accessories e.g. White plastic, chrome etc. Also lighting - is it down lights or single pendants, the former will cost more.
We are Glasgow based, but too busy to offer anything but advice at the moment. But keep asking questions on here till you have all the answers you need.

Same as what Polo has said, I recently left the NICEIC because it costs too much money for what I get out of it, I can do a re wire without notifying, as long as all certs are done then no issues there. I would also give a quote but booked past September. Hope all goes well and keep in touch let us know how it goes!

Well.... the rewire has been quite the journey! Currently out of the house and hoping that tomorrow will be the last day of the job.

I’ve never done this before so can I ask - are you meant to tip a sparky?

Absolutely no way, they are being paid for the job.

Fundamentally I agree with @westward10 on this... they are being paid to do the job.

However, I have had a couple of customers give me extra and it is appreciated. In most cases it's been when I got my estimate wrong and the job overran (despite my protestations that it's my problem, they've insisted) but in a couple of cases it's been because they were pleased with the service and speedy fixes for their problems.

Reply to Full rewire needed in new home...eeeek! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net