Discuss Future Proofing - Garden Workshop in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a recent home owner, and have a long term plan to build a workshop/office at the back of the garden (about 20 meters long garden). Consumer unit is at front of house and an awkward position so routing the cable internally will be almost impossible once everything is decorated.

The workshop won't be happening for a good few years (need to save up!!), but currently my ceilings are down (new heating system) so I thought I should consider doing prep work now to save the eventual electrician smashing up ceilings/walls later down the line. Basically I'm thinking of leaving an unconnected run of cable from the consumer unit to a box at the back of the house as future proofing (would be about 10meters of cable).

The question is will a sparky be allowed to connect SWA to something like T&E? and if so would 10mm be thick enough cable?

Option B is fitting some conduit with a draw string from the consumer unit to the back of the house, but i dont like the chances of drawing thick T&E/SWA/Whatever cable through 10meters of conduit with a few twists and turns!

Just to be 100% clear, when the time comes i will get a sparky in to design and install the garden portion of SWA, the outbuilding consumer unit, sockets etc. i just want to minimize damage in the house when that time comes!

Reply to Future Proofing - Garden Workshop in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I'm interested in a house built around the 1980's in Northern Ireland. I took a few photos of the consumer unit etc. which is situated in the...
Replies
Views
Looking for some cabling advice for my garden project. I’ve put together this diagram below, which hopefully explains what I’m trying to achieve...
Replies
Views
Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Im quoting to install an EV charger (Dont worry - fully registered, but only been 2 weeks so i'm still picking bits up). Consumer unit...
Replies
Views
Got an EICR testing to do on a site soon. Some was done 2018, some 2014... but their office cant find the reports... So got to start from scratch...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock