Discuss Garden Lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pennywise

What methods of wiring and what materials do people find suit wiring a 230v garden lighting scheme, mostly low level spiked lighting with some floods. when I did some last year the guy I was subbing to preferred to wire them in SWA to double 13amp power breaker 2 gang sockets. then just make up extension leads with Hi Tuff too a Wiska box with the spiked lights spidered off the one box with the cables not buried. I'm leaning more towards Lewden 5amp points instead of the sockets as you never know what the customers going to plug in. Just wanted to see really what others do as it's always interesting to hear as everyone has a different way of doing the job. Personally I find it a little annoying that most domestic ground lights don't except two SWA's loop in loop out like you get on most commercial and architectural lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
SWA to IP54 adaptable boxes , Wago 3 lever connectors If it's prone to very wet conditions put the Wagos in plastic bag and fill box with foam

I always try and put sockets in just in case the customer wants christmas lights etc and they want to make a quick swap. Plus if the flex does get buried the extention lead doesn't count as fixed equipment :D

Hi,
Thanks for all the information guys. It is really very helpful. I would like to know a bit more in detail about the magic gel, never heard of it before. Please reply back soon.
:)

Potting compound as it's also known is good stuff but also a pain in the arse if you need to remove it. It sticks like shi'ite to a blanket. Allows you to be able to view the connections which is very handy

Magic gel is a liquid that is poured into the container/box and then sets like jelly, it comes in two bottles normaily , one is a white fluid and one is a blue fluid , when you mix the fluids together they react and will slowly set, the warmer the weather the quicker the setting time,, be carefull in the summer ,as it will go off in mins, where as in the cold can take about 45 mins, when set the cables will be totally water proof, and if you make a mistake you can just pull the gell out with your hands and restart. its not as sticky as suggested ,,,

Hi Guys and sorry to jump in on this thread. But I was doing a small job last week, and one of the buried wiska boxes had cracked. It contained what i presume was potting compound. Brown, very sticky but still flexible. Like the old door frame mastic. Anyway, changed box and re-used the old stuff.

He then asked me to add another 4 lights, so I need to buy some potting compound. The magic gel seems a little expensive and Denmans didnt stock it.

Whats the best option and most competitive to buy from.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to Garden Lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net