Discuss Generator back feeding panel questions...lots of questions. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

AlexFixIt

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon guys. Recently had to make an impulse generator purchase. Looking for some guidance to make my generator use both more flexible and safer than extension cords. Apologize in advance for breadth of information and questions. First time on this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I now have a 5500W generator, just used with some extension cords to power fridge, some lights, TV, etc. I would like to hardwire it to my 200A electrical panel. I believe this is called back feeding the panel. I understand this will use the generator to feed power to the panel and give me the flexibility to power on any circuit(s) I want using the existing breakers in the panel. I know with only a 5500W generator I need to be mindful of which circuits I can power simultaneously.

I understand the components that I will need include an exterior outlet, a pair of circuit breakers for the main panel, and an interlock switch for my panel. I have a few questions regarding this and hoping someone can give me the details I am trying to confirm.

The main electrical panel is in the basement utility room along with the oil based boiler, and hot water tank. Most of the ceiling in this room, above the boiler is covered in sheet rock while the ceiling above the electrical panel and rest of the basement is not, with ceiling joists visible and accessible. The run from the electrical panel to where the external generator connection will go needs to run past the boiler and into another area/room in the basement. The joists thankfully run in parallel to the direction of the required run. I know any run of wire should be secured to the joists but I don't want to remove the sheet rock. Although it may be a greater expense, I am thinking of using a run of conduit from the panel to the external jack. This would give me the ability to secure the conduit from the area near the panel (with no sheet rock) and then again once it gets to the basement area passed the utility room. I am not sure if running conduit in the ceiling would violate any code issues here in Westchester NY considering this run would be above the boiler, although in the ceiling along the joist and behind the sheet rock.

Next question is the gauge/type of the wire and circuit breaker rating. Right now I only have a 5500W generator which is limiting in what I can power. At some point I plan to upgrade and purchase a larger generator, somewhere between 10,000W - 15,000W. When I run this conduit and wire from the panel to the external connection point, I would like to future proof it so I don't have to run the cabling again and replace as few components as possible. Did some searching on-line and I can't find a definitive answer on whether I need to use 8 or 10 gauge wiring and the correct size of breakers and conduit to use with the wiring. Is it acceptable to run THHN (solid or stranded) wire through the conduit? I know it is based on load so I would be leveraging the upper limits of what the generator could output.

Main panel hook up for a 5500W generator today, but 10-15,000W generator in the future:

• Running metal conduit along ceiling joists covered by sheet rock above boiler OK? Run from panel to exterior wall is about 35'.
  • What kind of cable to run inside metal conduit? THHN Solid or Stranded? Or can you just run proper gauge BX cable through metal conduit (Solid or Stranded)?
  • What would be the proper size conduit considering the correct gauge wiring is used. Based on fill rate calculations I think it would be safe to go with 3/4" conduit.
  • As far as conductors, I think I would run (4) Hot, Hot, Neutral, and ground)?
  • What size breaker would be appropriate? 5500W today but trying to future proof for larger unit in the future.
  • What is the proper gauge wire? 10, 8, or something else?
  • Is there an external outlet that would be compatible with the smaller L14-30P found on my current generator as well as the connection typically found on larger capacity generators? Assuming larger generators will have a different connector. I know this setup involves the connector on the generator, the external receptacle at the side of the house, and the cable that will run between the two. Just trying to do as much as possible the first time to future proof and provide flexibility to the set up.

I know that was long winded and a lot of information so I greatly appreciated anyone who took the time to read it. I have some experience with running new or extending circuits, working in the panel, etc. I totally respect electricity and here to gather information to expand my knowledge and understanding. Any help and advice will be great appreciated.

TL;DR
Main panel hook up for a 5500W generator today, but 10-15,000W generator in the future. Need help/advice to figure out conduit size, wire type and gauge, breaker size, and hook up. Please see more details.
Good afternoon guys. Recently had to make an impulse generator purchase. Looking for some guidance to make my generator use both more flexible and safer than extension cords. Apologize in advance for breadth of information and questions. First time on this forum so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I now have a 5500W generator, just used with some extension cords to power fridge, some lights, TV, etc. I would like to hardwire it to my 200A electrical panel. I believe this is called back feeding the panel. I understand this will use the generator to feed power to the panel and give me the flexibility to power on any circuit(s) I want using the existing breakers in the panel. I know with only a 5500W generator I need to be mindful of which circuits I can power simultaneously.

I understand the components that I will need include an exterior outlet, a pair of circuit breakers for the main panel, and an interlock switch for my panel. I have a few questions regarding this and hoping someone can give me the details I am trying to confirm.

The main electrical panel is in the basement utility room along with the oil based boiler, and hot water tank. Most of the ceiling in this room, above the boiler is covered in sheet rock while the ceiling above the electrical panel and rest of the basement is not, with ceiling joists visible and accessible. The run from the electrical panel to where the external generator connection will go needs to run past the boiler and into another area/room in the basement. The joists thankfully run in parallel to the direction of the required run. I know any run of wire should be secured to the joists but I don't want to remove the sheet rock. Although it may be a greater expense, I am thinking of using a run of conduit from the panel to the external jack. This would give me the ability to secure the conduit from the area near the panel (with no sheet rock) and then again once it gets to the basement area passed the utility room. I am not sure if running conduit in the ceiling would violate any code issues here in Westchester NY considering this run would be above the boiler, although in the ceiling along the joist and behind the sheet rock.

Next question is the gauge/type of the wire and circuit breaker rating. Right now I only have a 5500W generator which is limiting in what I can power. At some point I plan to upgrade and purchase a larger generator, somewhere between 10,000W - 15,000W. When I run this conduit and wire from the panel to the external connection point, I would like to future proof it so I don't have to run the cabling again and replace as few components as possible. Did some searching on-line and I can't find a definitive answer on whether I need to use 8 or 10 gauge wiring and the correct size of breakers and conduit to use with the wiring. Is it acceptable to run THHN (solid or stranded) wire through the conduit? I know it is based on load so I would be leveraging the upper limits of what the generator could output.

Main panel hook up for a 5500W generator today, but 10-15,000W generator in the future:

• Running metal conduit along ceiling joists covered by sheet rock above boiler OK? Run from panel to exterior wall is about 35'.
  • What kind of cable to run inside metal conduit? THHN Solid or Stranded? Or can you just run proper gauge BX cable through metal conduit (Solid or Stranded)?
  • What would be the proper size conduit considering the correct gauge wiring is used. Based on fill rate calculations I think it would be safe to go with 3/4" conduit.
  • As far as conductors, I think I would run (4) Hot, Hot, Neutral, and ground)?
  • What size breaker would be appropriate? 5500W today but trying to future proof for larger unit in the future.
  • What is the proper gauge wire? 10, 8, or something else?
  • Is there an external outlet that would be compatible with the smaller L14-30P found on my current generator as well as the connection typically found on larger capacity generators? Assuming larger generators will have a different connector. I know this setup involves the connector on the generator, the external receptacle at the side of the house, and the cable that will run between the two. Just trying to do as much as possible the first time to future proof and provide flexibility to the set up.

I know that was long winded and a lot of information so I greatly appreciated anyone who took the time to read it. I have some experience with running new or extending circuits, working in the panel, etc. I totally respect electricity and here to gather information to expand my knowledge and understanding. Any help and advice will be great appreciated.
Alex first off why would you run steel conduit instead of PVC pipe, it’s a whole lot cheaper and faster to install. If as you say future proof it you would need a 2 inch conduit and install three 2/0 copper stranded THHN wires and one #6 ground wire. I have a 60 amp double pole breaker in my panel and my generator ties into it. I would suggest a transfer switch which I don’t have. When the power goes out I just walk outside and first turn off my 200 amp main breaker so I don’t back feed the power company, then I start my generator and turn on my 60 amp double pole breaker and feed the whole panel. Yes they are loads you can’t run together like your heat, water heater, dryer and stove. Right now at 5500 watts # 8 copper would be plenty big enough right now and go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy 8/3 romex with a ground and pull it through your 2 inch pipe until a later date when you want to upgrade. Please consider a transfer switch. I’m an old school electrician and that’s why I don’t have a transfer switch. Don’t worry about running behind Sheetrock and running over top of you boiler. High much higher is the pipe going to be over the boiler

Reply to Generator back feeding panel questions...lots of questions. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net