Discuss Gift ideas for my boyfriend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

My boyfriend is about to start training soon and I'd really like to get him a gift to show how proud I am of him. I'd like the gift to be useful and something he can use throughout his future career. However, I am totally clueless with this kinda thing and the more I look the more lost I am.
So I thought I'd come ask directly from people in the know.
What would you recommend? What is a must have for an electrician?
Thanks in advance.
Lost Girlfriend.

Avoid buying power tools, he will end up having a preferred make and battery’s , chargers etc can be shared between them.

The list is endless.

Starting off, a set of insulated screwdrivers. My own are WIHA. If pockets are deep enough, then a full tool kit, with pliers, hammer, adjustable grips….

You’re going to get ten different answers from ten different people.
Thank you and I don't mind a few different options especially with Xmas and birthdays coming up.
Love your little apprentice in your picture. Too cute!

Is the case that goes with it something that is worthwhile having or does it get discarded and the tool just being in a box instead?

He eventually will need a MFT (Multi Function tester) I recommend the Fluke as the box is substantial and will take lots of other tools in the top tray, but they are expensive, have a look on e-bay as lots of electricians upgrade their gear, if you find one ask on here if its worth what is being asked for it.

Voltage detector ( and proving unit) is a good shout…. It shows you care about his safety, as long as he gets into the habit of using them.

An MFT, or other expensive kit will be pointless until he’s qualified and is allowed to sign off test sheets.

You should get him to join the forum…. We have a trainee section…. Where there’s no such thing as a stupid question.

Interesting that everyone has defaulted to tools and meters, does no-one wear trousers or read books anymore?

But yes, as others have said, a decent insulated screwdriver kit is both practical and should be a long-time investment. I still have some in use today that I bought with my first apprentice wages - and that was a LONG time ago!!

An MFT, or other expensive kit will be pointless until he’s qualified and is allowed to sign off test sheets.

You should get him to join the forum…. We have a trainee section…. Where there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
Is it ever too early to learn using an MFT?

You could get him a nice hat??

1697557430644.png

I was thinking of stuff that would be with him for years. Test gear fails and needs to be replaced. Screwdrivers wear out.

I guess other stuff gets lost though, so hard to think of anything that might last for years.
I have an old red stanley tool box been with me from day one on the tools , I just keep junk tools in it now but it has stood the test of time.

Reply to Gift ideas for my boyfriend in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net