• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Gov announce no new petrol or diesel post 2040 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Apparently the government are going to announce this week that from 2040 no new diesel or petrol vehicles will be allowed to be sold in the UK. sounds good in theory but can't see it working too well.

Now am i the only one who thinks if everybody plugs there car into the grid to charge then the grid will simply collapse, it will break under the demand of all those vehicles being charged.

You can install as many solar arrays and turbines as you like but you do not need to be Einstein to realise that the DNO's are barely managing now and we keep hearing how we need new power stations.

Making the cars and developing batteries is coming along well, but you need the infrastructure!

Will be great for electricians though with all them charging points to install. I think the £500 OLEV grants for putting a charging point in at home when you buy a new electric vehicle will quickly disappear mind.

only 8195 days until no more engines then...

Can't imagine it will be an issue for me ...

But seriously, about 90% of journeys are less than 10 miles ..... So electric makes some sense ...... But with the drop in tax revenues, what will they tax next?

Can't imagine it will be an issue for me ...

But seriously, about 90% of journeys are less than 10 miles ..... So electric makes some sense ...... But with the drop in tax revenues, what will they tax next?
Ah high road tax to deter journeys and no doubt we will get a levy on electric supplies to upgrade the new network. Not that it will be spent on that mind. Also seen ideas floated about congestion charges and levys on busy roads. Either way they will take our cash

They don't propose banning Hybrids.
They'll be far more electric cars by then.
People and Companies will hold on to their existing ones in 2040, subject to the polution tax not being excessive.

Hinckley point and other new nuclear power will be onstream by then.

The grid won't collapse, there is already an idea to use the capacity stored in electric cars to boost the grid, short term, at peak times.
Car chargers will be either Smart or under the control of the Grid to spread out the demand.

If it was tomorrow, I'd worry the grid wouldn't cope, but I'd have thought the dnos could pull their fingers out some time within the next 22 years and get more capacity.

If the worst comes to the worst they can just get some massive diesel generators and put them at the end of everyone's roads to cope with peak demand... ;)

Not worried...years ago,i coupled a tread-wheel generator,to a power source,we are never far from,is free,and continuous.

...So i will continue,to power my home,charge my vehicle,and export excess to the grid,with my rats-in-a wheel-generator ;)

Easy...merely pass a law,that all exercise bikes,in gyms across the country,are to be coupled to mini generators,all feeding in to the grid.

Similar,compulsory arrangements are made,in prisons,schools,doctors waiting rooms.etc
Obviously,short-falls in generation,are made up from purpose built factories,using my rats-in-a-wheel idea...

I really cannot understand,how i have got to 52 years of age,without subsequent governments,over the years,head-hunting my talents for an energy commission minister...:cool:

Does this apply to motorcycles?

Embrace the future .... :)
Gov announce no new petrol or diesel post 2040 {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Gov announce no new petrol or diesel post 2040 in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back