Discuss Gridswitch fuse spur? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

alright guys i have to get a 8 way grid switch but i have installed one. currently on a job where the electrician has left and i have taken over his job and has been a utter nightmare... there designer wants to use a 8 way grid switch 20amp double pole but someone was saying the fuses go in the back of the switch?!? never seen this i think hes confused! o_o

You can get fuse modules and/or flex outlet modules depending what exactly is needed. Of course they will take up a module each though in addition to the switch module!

You would have to specify your requirements more clearly.
Generally if you have a 20A DP switch then this is feeding a socket, for which the fuse will be in the plug so a fuse is not required at the switch.
If the 20A DP switch is not feeding a socket then is fusing down required, as the circuit should be protected at origin.
If you are switching four items then you can have both a switch and a fuse in the 8 gang grid.
I certainly would not recommend having fuses behind the switch plate as this is an inaccessible and inobvious nightmare.

could someone show me a grid with fuses and switchs i have never seen one tbh o.o thats why im confused as hell. and no one else on site "designer" etc knows -.-

no, you loop the feed from 1 module to the next, then the next, etc.

No you feed to your fuse then from your fuse to the switch and then from the switch to the load. so in an 8way grid you could have 4 outgoing loads

Last edited:
For an 8 gang switch you could arrange things like this to provide witching and fusing for four items.
8 Gang grid.jpg
and wire like this
Fuse and switch grid.jpg

Personally I would feed the switch modules first and then the fuses. It means you aren't inserting or withdrawing a fuse into an energised carrier then if the switch is open.

I would have to say the fuse after switch scenario is probably safest but I could not be bothered to change the diagram, FCU carriers are designed to be safe to insert fuses even when energised as they are for unskilled use but no sense in increasing risk.
wire like this in that case.
Fuse and switch grid 2.jpg

The fuse is put in series after the switch for the reasons Risteard has said. That's why switched fused spurs are constructed in same way.
Yes i do agree with you . I did write my post that way first then edited it to read the otherway around after seeing richards drawing for continuity as i felt it does not make much difference , I agree with you that industrial switched fuses are wired this way otherwise you could touch a live part of the fuse even when tured off. but with the type of fuse holders we are talking about there is no way of touching the live part of the fuse when inserting it, saying all that going to the switch first is the better way of doing it :)

Reply to Gridswitch fuse spur? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net