Search the forum,

Discuss Guild of PAT Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of the guild, and are you a member?

Is it genuine? I've been approached to join them but had never heard of them, there's no one near me that knows of them so I'm trying to find out if it's real or a scam. Can anyone help?

Cheers

The Guild of PAT Testers is my site. It was launched earlier this year so it is relatively new. I can assure you it is legitimate. If you choose to join you will need to pass a test on electrical / PAT testing knowledge, this is a yearly test to make sure that any members have a good knowledge of PAT testing.

If you go to http://www.patguild.com and enter your postcode then you will see the details for any Guild members in your area.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Simon

The Guild of PAT Testers is my site. It was launched earlier this year so it is relatively new. I can assure you it is legitimate. If you choose to join you will need to pass a test on electrical / PAT testing knowledge, this is a yearly test to make sure that any members have a good knowledge of PAT testing.

If you go to http://www.patguild.com and enter your postcode then you will see the details for any Guild members in your area.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Simon

I can't see any affiliation to a professional body on your website ..are you in fact associated with a recognised body ?

Is this yearly on line exam created by yourself and is it based on the gola City and guilld format, are the question set by an authoritive body such as the city and guilds?

Can you give us examples or even figures on what type of leads you can provide and what is the percentage of leads to successful contracts being awarded.

I will contact the Pat Guild. My thoughts on it: I had an email through from the PAT Guild which looked like Junk mail, saying I'd had a request on the site to supply a quote, yet I am not registered on the site. Although when I put in my post code I am listed which is strange. I have no problem being a member of it IF it is a genuine site, but if the site is home made and not legitimate then I don't want to be associated. Where does this online test come from, and what do I get from a membership? How much traffic does the site receive?

The online test is based on the IET Code of Practice for in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment. So any questions are based on the guidelines all PAT testers should be following. Any legitimate PAT tester shouldn't have a problem passing the test.

I started out the guild with the hope of making it easy to find a trustworthy PAT tester, as i'm sure anyone who PAT tests will know there are alot of people who don't test by the book. Any tester who joins the guild has to agree to follow guidelines that include testing in accordance with IET's COP, not having hidden charges, etc. Members can also be struck off if they have a complaint made against them.

Yes but the issue people have with the "Guild" is that it is not a guild. It is your website; set up by you, not by a group of people. And what happens to the money - does it go back to the members or do you keep it? If it was a real guild there would be no joining fee but membership based on trust.

So, I think the guild is a way for you to sell yourself as the trustworthy PAT Tester, and to suggest that anyone who is not a member is not trustworthy.

Also, what can you be struck off? If something doesn't really exist in the first place?

Yes but the issue people have with the "Guild" is that it is not a guild. It is your website; set up by you, not by a group of people. And what happens to the money - does it go back to the members or do you keep it? If it was a real guild there would be no joining fee but membership based on trust.

The definition of a guild is 'An association of persons of the same trade or pursuits, formed to protect mutual interests and maintain standards.' so by definition it meets the criteria of a guild.

The money received goes towards the maintenance, running costs and administration of the web site as well as paying off money already spent in designing the site. Whilst it could be free and I welcome anyone to set there own version up for free, most people will recognise the significant outlay of time and money in setting up a site such as this.

If you look into guilds or associations in other industries you will find that not only is the Guild of PAT Testers cheaper, but also membership criteria is more strict with the requirement to first take a test before entry.

still sounds like crap!!! similar site out there called PAT Directory.......!! same set up and same stuff...!!

p.s how did you get my details by the way ??? Pat Directory!! Probably!

still sounds like crap!!! similar site out there called PAT Directory.......!! same set up and same stuff...!!

p.s how did you get my details by the way ??? Pat Directory!! Probably!

Yes but even the PAT directory charges more and all you get is a website listing then. With the guild the members are agreeing to follow the code of practice and have to pass an entry test.

I could enter my dog on the PAT directory website. Doesn't mean she has a clue about PAT testing

Yes, and anyone can become a member of your site by paying £15 and answering a few questions that can be found in a book - doesn't mean they know anything about PAT Testing.

If you choose to set up a website, call it that Pat Testers guild and pay for it yourself then say that on the site, don't suggest you are the law and governing body of a trade.

Hi All Heres my two pence worth on this subject.I am a quite experienced tester having several years behind me working full time at testing and whilst i can see the reason for a scheme to promote testing and promote testers in their regions the online test however difficult is not sufficient imho as they might know all the theory in the cop but not have a scooby doo how to work a tester in the field .Also they could be appliance 'ticket slappers' and not actually doing the job properly as indeed it deserves.
The only real way forward is the same type of annual inspection as the niceic do for there pat scheme where they check your work calibated tester make sure your are in complete compliance with cop and indeed have a copy .
Had this pat guild done inspections as above then perhaps i might have considered it otherwise i am afraid i will be steering well clear.
I am giving serious considration to joining a credible scheme can anyone tell me if other than niceic any of the other bodies do one .Select seem to but the websites hard to make out.

cheers 72-van
fife

I would point out that i am not a spark but have 2377 /2383 and currently studying 2391

It's just another cheap online directory,,,,,,, There must be 1000's of them, it's a bit late 90's.

You pay to advertise on there site.... simple.... Better off spending your advertising budget elsewhere

Yes, and anyone can become a member of your site by paying £15 and answering a few questions that can be found in a book - doesn't mean they know anything about PAT Testing.

If you choose to set up a website, call it that Pat Testers guild and pay for it yourself then say that on the site, don't suggest you are the law and governing body of a trade.

And anyone can become a City & Guilds qualified PAT tester by answering a few questions found in a book. The point is to pass a timed test you are going to have to know the book well to be able to answer the questions.

In no way does the Guild of PAT testers make out it is the law or a governing body.

Last edited by a moderator:
where did the guild of PAT tester go...!!!

never seen as much crap in my life!!! did a google search for pat testing and got nothing on his site!! lol obviously spent loads getting it ranked high!! hahahahaa!!!!

Just another "pay" directory. As I proved in 5 minutes flat anyone can come up with a logo and start a website... Sorry Pat testers guild lolol

Oh by the way Durham your application was approved you are also an RWJ Approved Contractor & PAT Tester and have full use of our logo lololololol

Mint!!!!

unfortunately your application to join the Guild of master electrical installers (Durham Branch) was unsuccessful as you never had a part p certificate and could not produce the desired Train for Trade skills 15k basic electrical training reciept!

Mint!!!!

unfortunately your application to join the Guild of master electrical installers (Durham Branch) was unsuccessful as you never had a part p certificate and could not produce the desired Train for Trade skills 15k basic electrical training reciept!

Who me?????

I woz told I'd be able to join and get a job that paid 55k +

no mate!! wated your time!! 4 years could have been spent in the pub!!

not going to go any further on this as i aint a time served spark so cant comment on it as it would be unfair!
my engineering apprentiship took me 6 months 5 day a week in the classroom and 1 year in the field (23H a day when deployed some times)

where did the guild of PAT tester go...!!!

never seen as much crap in my life!!! did a google search for pat testing and got nothing on his site!! lol obviously spent loads getting it ranked high!! hahahahaa!!!!

Hi If you want to check out the Guild of PAT Testers, you need to go to patguild dot com there is no point searching on google as it doesn't come up - not even sure if it's registered. It doesn't have very good SEO so I'm not suprised it doesn't get found. Which is unusual I would have thought for such a 'regulatory body'.

There you can have a look around the site and see what you think, maybe comment on their 'code of practice' which to me looks like some very basic guidelines for carrying out pat testing rather than COP of a group, plus I'd say the writers own opinion on certain matters.

But lads come on, you get a free pen once memberships has been approved, approval time may vary due to waiting lispssss LOL.
I wonder if they have any form of insurance cover.
Banjo Insurance Co, run by Eddy Bananas.
underwritten by Tom --- & Pooh Bear, TP protection.

Guild implies an association of trade profesionals who have served a thorough training and achieved a high standard in some or other field, given that the majority of pat testers trading today were unemployed people who used the "back to work grant" to buy a PAT tester and a two day training course the formation of a guild seems laughable. Pat testing is an unnesasary tax on business, and a way of increasing employment by first passing a law to require something to be tested, and then training testers! From the health and safety point of view it has made no difference to the already very low accident figures.There will of course be a charge for joining this "guild" Has no one noticed that there is more money in "training" and "trade Associations" (now compulsory membership) than there is in actually trading as an installer or maintainer of equipment. Reintroduction of the "closed shop"! Rant over.

The history of the proper guild system is quite interesting
Guilds were your original controlling/Regulating bodies for most trades their Legal status was usually by royal ascent or royal charter, they were a cross between a secret society and a trade controlling body, Trade secrets were kept secret. They generally had 3 levels, Apprentice, Craftsman and master craftsman. Apprentices were apprenticed to a master craftsman for a set period at which they would be given all the sh!t jobs and only taught the basics of the trade until the master was sure they could be trusted with trade secrets. As an apprentice they were tied to one master and there were serious consequences for disobeying a master and if they ran away they could be imprisoned.
Upon completion of there Apprenticeship if they came up to scratch the guild they were affiliated with confirmed there status as Craftsman, they could then undertake work for themselves but could not take on apprentices, apprentices could only be taken on by a master craftsman.
For a Craftsman to become a Master craftsman he would become what was called a Journeyman he would undertake work for other masters in other areas and after a period of time as a Journeyman if his work was up to the standard the master craftsmen of his guild would confirm him as a Master craftsman and he could then take on his own apprentices.
As a note the Guild halls were originally meeting places of the guilds

This guild system died with the coming of capitalism and free trade as it was seen as restrictive to free trade.

An excellent description of what the guilds were all about, which was to maintain excellence in a trade or profession by ensuring the training was thorough (seven years for most before they became a journeyman, and then only admitted as a master craftsman after they proved their ability) today we get a couple of days training, multiple choice exams, and the opportunity to retake as many times as neccasry, and even be coached through! I was apprentice trained in the sixties and early seventies for 5 years, and also had three years at technical college in order to get a City and Guilds national diploma in electrical engineering. NVQ? Not Very Qualified!!

But lads come on, you get a free pen once memberships has been approved, approval time may vary due to waiting lispssss LOL.
I wonder if they have any form of insurance cover.
Banjo Insurance Co, run by Eddy Bananas.
underwritten by Tom --- & Pooh Bear, TP protection.

A free pen? Oh, why didn't you say, I'm disappointed now, if I'd known, that would have been worth it ;-)

As well as running a so Called Guild He also does 75p per test pat testing from the same Address.
which happens to be a very nice looking house in the country, see google maps link

http://maps.google.com/maps/

www.patguild.com 3 Hillside View, Rugby, Warwickshire

[FONT=&quot]www.plugcheck.co.uk[/FONT] PAT Testing Coventry - From 75p - PlugCheck 3 Hillside View, Rugby, Warwickshire CV23 0LA, United Kingdom +44 7738 826546

maybe he should do another guild as well for the happy slappy sticker brigade

The happy slappy sticker brigade Guild (we do pat testing faster than a speeding bullet). lol

Your laughing now gents, you won't be laughing when pat guild is featured on either the apprentice or dragons den! Fair play to the man if anyone is stupid enough to pay the fee

Thanks Michelle for a great post - well done finding this info, ever thought about being a detective?

I can't believe it - he is banging on about ethics in the industry then he does the exact thing that annoys us all - under cutting everyone by offering unrealistic prices that can't be achieved without cutting some serious corners.

Has anyone reviewed that site? It says it will beat any price, it has conditions (hidden charges) for repairs which is something the guild is very much against, in the Code of Practice of the guild it says "No hidden charges: When giving an initial quote to a customer all charges should be explained. If there are optional charges for repairs etc then the customer should be given the option before the repair is undertaken. If a minimum call out or cancelation fees apply these should be explained at the time of booking." then on the plug check site it says "Free* small repairs carried out to items as necessary, i.e re-wiring plugs, changing fuse, etc" with the * refering to: "*Up to a maximum of 10% repair rate" - to me this is a hidden charge, as I have no idea what it means how would a potential customer? So in my opinion he has broken the rules of the guild and thus should have his membership cancelled - am I wrong?

Another point, the site says for more information on pat testing click here, when you click it takes you to the pat testing info site - does this mean they have a link from the plug test site or is the pat testing info site owned by plug check too?

Guys I really need to get back on here more this thread has had me in hysterics..in fact I think I even let out a little bit of wee at one time, send the guy one of your dogs 'Truffles' in a jiffy bag..test that for 75p if it passes I will join lmao.

Well done to you all for taking the scam apart

ATB Steve

Another point, the site says for more information on pat testing click here, when you click it takes you to the pat testing info site - does this mean they have a link from the plug test site or is the pat testing info site owned by plug check too?
No he's just added a link to someone elses site

-------------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]Domain Name:pAT-TESTING.INFO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registrant Name:Lynette Day[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registrant Addrerss:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]26 Priestgate[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cambs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PE1 1WG[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Created On:25-Feb-2003[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Expiration Date:25-Feb-2017[/FONT]
-------------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]
Domain Name: PATGUILD.COM
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Registrant: PlugCheck[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registered through: Cheapville
Domain Name Registration[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Creation Date: 18-nov-2010[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Expiration Date: 18-nov-2011[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name Server: NS1.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Name Server: NS2.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Name Server: NS3.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]

Domain name: plugcheck.co.uk
Registrant: Simon Grogan
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
61 Dalehouse Lane
Kenilworth
CV8 2EP
United Kingdom
Registrar:
UK Cheapest Limited t/a UK-Cheapest.co.uk [Tag = MICROLITE]
URL: Domain Names, Registration, Web Hosting | UK-Cheapest

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 17-May-2009
Renewal date: 17-May-2013
Last updated: 19-Apr-2011

Name servers:
ns1.pipedns.com
ns2.pipedns.com

[FONT=&quot]Registered through: Cheapville
Domain Name Registration[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Registrar:
UK Cheapest Limited t/a UK-Cheapest.co.uk [Tag = MICROLITE]
URL: Domain Names, Registration, Web Hosting | UK-Cheapest

Have to say - this is a hilarious coincidence - registrar is "cheapest" and "wild west domains" just brilliant - this scam is registered by the cheapest cowboys!!

[FONT=&quot]Domain Name: PATGUILD.COM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registrant: PlugCheck[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Registered through: Cheapville [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Domain Name Registration[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, INC.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Creation Date: 18-nov-2010[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Expiration Date: 18-nov-2011[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name Server: NS1.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name Server: NS2.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Name Server: NS3.PIPEDNS.COM[/FONT]

Cowboy guild on a cowboy site - very apt

Hi Ho Silver away

The Guild does look like the same company as Plugcheck.co.uk well its got the same address and the same picture on one page. Plugcheck are a member as well???? Born Yesterday!!!

Has anyone ever heard of the guild, and are you a member?

Is it genuine? I've been approached to join them but had never heard of them, there's no one near me that knows of them so I'm trying to find out if it's real or a scam. Can anyone help?

Cheers

no but i bet their a boring bunch of fellas though

Reply to Guild of PAT Testers in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net