Discuss has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i have withheld rent from him before due too the fact that we waited 2months for him to fit a new boiler because the old one was broken he soon pulls his finger out of his arse when he knows he wont be getting rent.

yeah i think i will try postin on a board where i live i have used this site for gas before i got some pretty good reviews and your all soo nice and helpful thanks to you all.

Becky do as millwall ken suggests post your approx location and someone will come and sort your landlord ( and the fault ) out though not necasserily in that order

If there was no sleeving on the cpc in the socket, you can probably assume that there will be other suuff as well with the potential to cause problems. You shouldve had an inspection when you moved in 6 months ago...law of the land.

Edited...sorry should be common law not law of the land...oops

Last edited:
Try plugging in only one appliance at a time to see if it's related to that. I'd try the washing machine first. At least the protective devices are operating. Annoying but safe(ish)
I agree, if it's an RCD (circuit breaker with a small test button on it) that's tripping then it's a very good chance the it's one of your appliances that's causing it. You can try figure out which appliance by deduction, make a note of what's plugged in each time it trips and rule them out one by one if you can.

A couple of things you need to know, firstly even if an appliance is switched off at the socket or the switch on the appliance, it can still cause tripping of an RCD. You must fully unplug an appliance to know it isn't the one causing the trouble.

Secondly an RCD is looking at the total earth leakage from all the appliances plugged in. It could be that two or three appliances with a smallish fault might add up to a big enough fault to cause tripping when they're all plugged in. This can make it a difficult fault to track down without the proper test equipment.

Good luck. If all else fails you'll have to get an electrician in who's handy with an insulation tester.

An RCD will only trip due to a fault (earth) not overcurrent. Please get it checked by someone reputable. With our test equipment it's usually quite easy to test wiring to see if it's safe

is there any one i can have a moan too about him not getting electrics checked when we moved in?
i think i will try the plugg in thing tommorrow, then plug one appliance in one at a time make sure it's not any of our stuff.
then get on and have a moan at him too sort the problem out if it is his electrics.

is there any one i can have a moan too about him not getting electrics checked when we moved in?
i think i will try the plugg in thing tommorrow, then plug one appliance in one at a time make sure it's not any of our stuff.
then get on and have a moan at him too sort the problem out if it is his electrics.

just pulled out the copy of the electric report he was due too have them check on the 26/01/2011 so i will get on to him tommorow thanks guys agen for your help.

Becky do yourself a favour and get someonr to have a look , the plug in in thing won't tell you a lot , plus the fact you don't know what your looking for,
There are a lot of good contractors on this forum that will help you out (dare I say ) with no fee

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was no sleeving on the cpc in the socket, you can probably assume that there will be other suuff as well with the potential to cause problems. You shouldve had an inspection when you moved in 6 months ago...law of the land.

I know we would like it to be "law of the land" but I think I'm right in saying that there is no LEGAL requirement to have a PIR at all. As for landlord safety certificate don't get me started.

I know we would like it to be "law of the land" but I think I'm right in saying that there is no LEGAL requirement to have a PIR at all. As for landlord safety certificate don't get me started.

Quite right, but isn't it our responsibility to encourage the public to do such things?

It certainly is Ken, but I thought the OP should be aware of this fact before going ballistic at her landlord. Reading some of the posts here could give her totally the wrong idea and leave her looking quite silly imo.

It certainly is Ken, but I thought the OP should be aware of this fact before going ballistic at her landlord. Reading some of the posts here could give her totally the wrong idea and leave her looking quite silly imo.

Quite right too.
PS: What the hell does IMO mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldnt go ballistic at him just request that he has the electrics checked because of it tripping and he was due a check in jan, and as ive got children i want too know we are safe and if that means going mad at him for him to do somethink about it then i will.

Reply to has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net