Discuss has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sorry Becky I didn't mean to upset you, just thought you should be aware that there is no requirement for him to have the electrics tested. However he does have a duty of care and should not be negligent when an electrical problem is pointed out to him. The fact that the RCD is tripping, although annoying, does mean that the system is protecting you from serious harm. An intermittent fault can have a number of causes and may not always be due to the fixed wiring system of the property.

Sorry Becky I didn't mean to upset you, just thought you should be aware that there is no requirement for him to have the electrics tested. However he does have a duty of care and should not be negligent when an electrical problem is pointed out to him. The fact that the RCD is tripping, although annoying, does mean that the system is protecting you from serious harm. An intermittent fault can have a number of causes and may not always be due to the fixed wiring system of the property.

no it's fine :) but if you met my landlord you would understand my concern he's a pretty much do it your self guy then pay for some one thats qualified too do it. i can understand in some things but not gas and electric.

One double socket in a family kitchen sounds a bit light to me; where is everything else (fridge freezer, kettle, toaster etc) plugged in?
It could just be a simple case of overloading which may require some rewiring, which is a job that should be done by a professional.

If I know landlords if you kick up enough of a stink he'll fob you off with excuses then tell you he wants to sell the property, especially if it was "fine until you got here".
Then after you've left, a lot of their sort would tell you the property needed "professional cleaning" which just happened to cost the same as your deposit, and coincidentally should cover the cost of the remedial electrical work.

you got it in 1 novus. tight fisted , money grabbing buggers, most of 'em.

yep sounds very much like our landlord!!
he did say he's selling the house after i gave him aload about the boiler, but he needs a court order to evict us and he doesnt want to fork out so he's not doing it.

erm the washing machine is through and extension lead it's in the bathroom as the kitchen is soooo tiny!! fridge freezer fits nicely in the cuboard under the stairs again with extension lead and kettle,toaser,micro,steamer ect plugs in in the kitchen but never! more then two items a time because of the room we have got.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sticking up for landlords here but I've done a lot of work for local landlords in the boom years. In one house when the tenants left they took all the sockets and switches with them! Another was that dirty that I refused to work in it until it was cleaned. The worst one, a family in a 3 bedroom house DHSS. After almost 3 years the social found the tenant working and claimed back almost £14k back from the landlord! It almost broke him and had to remortgage two properties to pay it. Tenant did a runner never to be seen again.

On the other side I've had to chase landlords for money, trying to pay up short, expecting you to do extra work for free etc.

If you believe that your rented house is dangerous in any way call your local council. They have the powers to force landlords to make repairs.

erm the washing machine is through and extension lead it's in the bathroom as the kitchen is soooo tiny!!

For safety reasons i wouldn't run a washing machine through the extension - what is the maximum load that the extension lead can take it should be marked on either 5amp or 10amp - depending on your washing machine you may find you are overloading just on this alone if it is 2kw then your looking at running about 8.5amps at full power however if like mine it is 2.5kw then this will run at about 10.5amps.

Running an extension into a bathroom should always be a no-no as things like this can happen
Mother and son electrocuted in bath as heater falls in water | News

Also the extension could have water seeping in which would be caused by steam in the bathroom getting into it and causing the tripping

fridge freezer fits nicely in the cuboard under the stairs again with extension lead
This should be fine but if you close the door to the cupboard does it overheat as if so the fan on the fridge freezer will be working constantly - easy way of checking open the cupboard door is it warm

and kettle,toaser,micro,steamer ect plugs in in the kitchen but never! more then two items a time because of the room we have got.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with everyone else this needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency

yep sounds very much like our landlord!!
he did say he's selling the house after i gave him aload about the boiler, but he needs a court order to evict us and he doesnt want to fork out so he's not doing it.

erm the washing machine is through and extension lead it's in the bathroom as the kitchen is soooo tiny!! fridge freezer fits nicely in the cuboard under the stairs again with extension lead and kettle,toaser,micro,steamer ect plugs in in the kitchen but never! more then two items a time because of the room we have got.

Becy extention leads in bathrooms are dangerous, especially with kid.s running about, I bet there all knackered anyway tell if he dose,nt get it sorted your going to phone the council / local trading standards, local paper .
The faults are in all probability with the leads, was it in that state when you moved in

Reply to has my landlord got dodgy electrical wires in our home in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net