Discuss Heads snapped off M3.5 screws in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DaveyD

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Had to change some plate switches and sockets after decoraters have been in. On one socket the screws have snapped off in the lugs. The room is papered and the lugs are fixed. Normally I can get them out with pliers but these are rusted in at the lug. Any tips please?
T.I.A.
Regards, David

drill out the old screws, then re-tap the lugs as M4's. You may also find that when you start drilling them using a very fine drill bit that they may start to move and unscrew anyway.

LOL - There's an echo in this room!

Top Tips, Thanks guys, I have a 3.5 tapper, never throught of going up a size DUH!! Will ask at wholesalers tomorrow - ready to watch their confused little faces ....

If it's just a case of rusted screws try releasing the screws with Plus Gas dismantling fluid (available from Halfords or automotive factors) first. Spray Plus Gas on, leave for 5 minutes, twist off screws with Mole Grips, it usually works.
If this doesn't work you can always used the drill/retap method suggested by others.

If it's just a case of rusted screws try releasing the screws with Plus Gas dismantling fluid (available from Halfords or automotive factors) first. Spray Plus Gas on, leave for 5 minutes, twist off screws with Mole Grips, it usually works.
If this doesn't work you can always used the drill/retap method suggested by others.
OK, thanks - like WD40?

Very small drill. Get some "easy outs"...there like a tapered left hand thread and you only need a shallow hole for em to bite.....they come in packs of 5 or 6 in different sizes and they aint dear to buy.....
Rockin....why would they unscrew? which way does a drill turn.........

Very small drill. Get some "easy outs"...there like a tapered left hand thread and you only need a shallow hole for em to bite.....they come in packs of 5 or 6 in different sizes and they aint dear to buy.....

thought the same thing when reading lol

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by GLENNSPARK

thought the same thing when reading lol

Yes, it goes the same way. Has no-one ever tried the tighten to loosen principal before?

As for brass M4's, I'd throw them away...steel ones from your wholesaler or from a certain well known Fixings company.

OK, well thanks again everyone. Drilled out the fixed side and replaced the unfixed side. Nightmare job getting the drill to hold but done. Rethreaded to m4 and away ....
Re M4, thanks rock, no w/salers have them here, will try online. Could only see stubbys last week ....

Reply to Heads snapped off M3.5 screws in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net