Discuss Heating system wiring... in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening chaps,
On a new build this week first fixing, the heating system is giving me a headache,
Downstairs has wet UFH with a thermostat in every room (7 in total) I have the omnie stats and wiring centre which is fine with but upstairs is all rads with only one stat in the hall upstairs.
Also there is a separate circuit for wet towel rads which will need a separate programmer so they can come on in the summer.
How am I best to wire this all this?
the UFH manifold is in a cupboard downstairs the boiler is in the garage and there’s an airing cupboard upstairs.

Evening chaps,
On a new build this week first fixing, the heating system is giving me a headache,
Downstairs has wet UFH with a thermostat in every room (7 in total) I have the omnie stats and wiring centre which is fine with but upstairs is all rads with only one stat in the hall upstairs.
Also there is a separate circuit for wet towel rads which will need a separate programmer so they can come on in the summer.
How am I best to wire this all this?
the UFH manifold is in a cupboard downstairs the boiler is in the garage and there’s an airing cupboard upstairs.
Hi Peter, best way is to not think about it all in one go!

I’d personally wire all the U/H programmers back to the manifold and then take a 3 core and earth (run two just to be safe) from the manifold to the wiring center. I’m assuming the water tank is by the boiler which means the wiring center / zone valves will be there too? As for the stat Doing the upstairs rads, that’ll go back to the wiring center too..

Hi Peter, best way is to not think about it all in one go!

I’d personally wire all the U/H programmers back to the manifold and then take a 3 core and earth (run two just to be safe) from the manifold to the wiring center. I’m assuming the water tank is by the boiler which means the wiring center / zone valves will be there too? As for the stat Doing the upstairs rads, that’ll go back to the wiring center too..
Hi mate
Thanks for a quick reply,
I’m still confused sorry! Long day.
The ufh manifold is located under the stairs in a cupboard I was going to put the wiring centre there and take all the stats to it in 3 core flex as there’s live in, SL out and neutral on the stats.
The programmer i was also going to put there with the wiring centre.
It’s the airing cupboard and the rads upstairs I was unsure off. Would I not have separate programmers for the towel rads and mains rads for upstairs in the airing cupboard as that’s where the plumbers valves will go and my immersion spur etc. I probably need to sleep and tackle it tomo as I’m too tired to think clearly now but any help is appreciated chaps thanks

draw it out before you put any cables anywhere.

if you cant picture it in your head, do a wiring diagram and follow it to the letter.

afterwards, fold it up and leave it in an obvious position to any following engineer.

Hi mate
Thanks for a quick reply,
I’m still confused sorry! Long day.
The ufh manifold is located under the stairs in a cupboard I was going to put the wiring centre there and take all the stats to it in 3 core flex as there’s live in, SL out and neutral on the stats.
The programmer i was also going to put there with the wiring centre.
It’s the airing cupboard and the rads upstairs I was unsure off. Would I not have separate programmers for the towel rads and mains rads for upstairs in the airing cupboard as that’s where the plumbers valves will go and my immersion spur etc. I probably need to sleep and tackle it tomo as I’m too tired to think clearly now but any help is appreciated chaps thanks
Do your stats not need a cpc, even just to the back box? Would be far better in PVC/PVC 3 core & earth. Most common 3 core flex is Brown, Blue, Green Yellow so wouldn't be suitable.

Also you need to speak to the plumber to see where they are going to put their valves and any other equipment that will require wiring. Pumps for instance aren't always local to the boiler.

Does this help?
Thank you so much very kind! ??
[automerge]1592853144[/automerge]
Do your stats not need a cpc, even just to the back box? Would be far better in PVC/PVC 3 core & earth. Most common 3 core flex is Brown, Blue, Green Yellow so wouldn't be suitable.

Also you need to speak to the plumber to see where they are going to put their valves and any other equipment that will require wiring. Pumps for instance aren't always local to the boiler.
It’s a plastic stat an I’m going into a drywall back box so I was going to sleeve the earth brown on the flex but I’ll likely use 3 core and earth now after having a think and just wago the earth each end
[automerge]1592856633[/automerge]
Does this help?
Thanks for the pic mate, yes the UF valve is located by the manifold itself so Presumably I’ll extend the 5 core back to the wiring centre for that?

Last edited:
Thank you so much very kind! ??
[automerge]1592853144[/automerge]

It’s a plastic stat an I’m going into a drywall back box so I was going to sleeve the earth brown on the flex but I’ll likely use 3 core and earth now after having a think and just wago the earth each end
[automerge]1592856633[/automerge]

Thanks for the pic mate, yes the UF valve is located by the manifold itself so Presumably I’ll extend the 5 core back to the wiring centre for that?
If the valve is by the manifold you only need a 3 core and earth back from the manifold to the main wiring center. The UF manifold diagram will show you how to incoropatre the zone valve within it.

Also, regardless of dry fix boxes being plastic the stat cable itself still needs a CPC if it’s 230v regardless as this protects anyone who could potentially penetrate it. If the stats are 12v dc you can wire them in either CAT5/6 or even alarm cable.

Please note the cables marked up 3 core in my drawing are 3 core and earth.

If the valve is by the manifold you only need a 3 core and earth back from the manifold to the main wiring center. The UF manifold diagram will show you how to incoropatre the zone valve within it.

Also, regardless of dry fix boxes being plastic the stat cable itself still needs a CPC if it’s 230v regardless as this protects anyone who could potentially penetrate it. If the stats are 12v dc you can wire them in either CAT5/6 or even alarm cable.

Please note the cables marked up 3 core in my drawing are 3 core and earth.
Hi, ok thank you here’s a pic of the stats and wiring centre.BCED9E47-C114-495E-AA0F-773820D10F3F.jpeg

Reply to Heating system wiring... in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net