Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Heights for sockets and switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eds54

Hi all
I,m rewiring a house with a new back extension, i know the new recommended heights for socket outlets 450mm to the centre of the box and1200mm to the top of the box for switches (why to the midde on 1 box and the to on the other i cannot fathom). What i need to know is do these measurements apply to the old part of the house as well as the new and do they apply at all seeing as the house is occupied and not a new build. Hope somebody can put me straight.

Doesn't apply to existing property, just put them in the same place if that's what customer wants. As long as you're not making the installation less hospitable, then there's no issue. On extension, I'd comply with height requirements, but again you could get away with matching height to rest of house.

and just to put you right, it's 450mm to bottom ( min) and 1200 to top (max) p.161 red osg.

stress though that it's only new builds and major refurbs. rewires and extensions are at client's request, providing comliance with BS7671 as regards damage to plugs and flexes.

Was recently involved in a private new build. Client was not havin "effin sockets half way up the effin wall and switches by me effin belly button" (a tall fella). He was paying the bills so he got what he wanted. NIC questioned it but were OK with that when explained. I can see it being an issue in "social housing" though.

Whatever happened to the old saying/method that switches should be placed at (the sparks not the female clients) nipple height? Or mebbe that was just the fella I was working with!!

Gaaa, its not to the centre of the frigging box!! Even when I showed my colleague the OSG diagram he still puts them half out of the zone, and then moves the boxes on the pre-built pods from their correct position to his half-ar$ed centred position! Makes me mad (if you hadn't noticed).

just politely show them either the osg or part m of the building regs. then , when they have it in front of them, ask if they want it to comply or use their own ideas.

Reply to Heights for sockets and switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net