Discuss *help please*2 way switching landing lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

714gold714

hello there happy new year and all that! please help me I currently have a job where a customer has tried changing 2 lights, up and downstairs landing lights. I got called due to the lights will no longer switch on. The up and down lights are on the same MCB x2 1g 2way. I seem to be able to get 2 way switching working fine then the upstairs lights have no power and when I finally get upstairs lighting working the 2 way switching does not light up the lights! please help or any diagrams with 2 way switching would be great! also some parts are wired in singles

they are ceiling roses I have belled them out and still can make no sense of it. everytime I change the feed over so I can feed upstairs light I loose the 2 lights in hall way

I think what is confusing me as well both 2 way switches have 3 wires in. So maybe a joint somewhere else? also upstairs light has 3 wires in (not including earth

a couple of photos would help. first, you need to determine where the L feed is coming in, then draw out a circuit for the switching accordingly.

Right both switches have 3 wires in, ok it's possible that there should be a link between the wires going into the common terminals on the 2 switches

could be. or the L is inputted at the light. or there's a JB hidden away above the ceiling.

the fact that customer has had a go means call-out fee is double what it would be if he'd called in the first place.

haha it is a friend who do I lot of work for in a factory so have to keep them sweet ;) sorry for no photos it was late at night. He says he never touched any switches but there is certainly 3 wires in both switches, 3 in upstairs light and atleast 5 in down stairs. is there a chance there could of been a link inside downstairs light? as he replaced normal lights into ceiling rose.

Has he only changed the lights or the switches as well, if it is only the lights then the problem has to be at one of the light fittings

This is another one of those posts where a few pictures might help suss it out

the fact that customer has had a go means call-out fee is double what it would be if he'd called in the first place.
ooh at least lol,reminds me of a job I went to,it was blatantly obvious that someone had had a go but client insisted otherwise,you know how it is don't you? we've never had any problems then turned it on and it just doesn't work.Anyway after about an hour I was still not much nearer and getting annoyed with the customers insistance that nobody had touched it,so I said look the longer I'm here the dearer it gets,suddenly the customer "remembered" something her hubby had been poking about with! 5 minutes later I was on my way out the door.Don't you just love it when they try and kid you!

Has he only changed the lights or the switches as well, if it is only the lights then the problem has to be at one of the light fittings

This is another one of those posts where a few pictures might help suss it out
well he was on about switches,but rereading it makes me think just the lights,in which case the fault must be up there somewhere.

right. start with the light that has the most wires in. split them up then bell out the cable to the other light. mark it and ignore for now. then get the first light working. once that's done, just parallel up the other light.

like I said I have done all that and identified everything then all I seem to get is either 2 way switching working fine and all downstairs lights and no power upstairs or no 2 way switching and everything else working

Reply to *help please*2 way switching landing lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net