Discuss Help please re home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks very much for the replies. The BT master socket has a detachable front plate and I haven't tampered with this. If I understand correctly I'm to connect 3 of the cat5 cable cores to 2,3 and 5 at the master socket. This may be a stupid question, but the cat 5 has six wires. Is a core counted as a green cable with a lighter cable twisted around. So will I be conncting 6 cables at each end? (3 pairs)? Also, I have two socket outlets with Cat 5 in each room. For internet I would use the feed from the router to one socket with an ethernet plate and would it be correct to feed the other socket with a standard phone outlet from the new BT socket next to the router?

If your Cat 5 only has 6 wires then it is not Cat 5. Cat 5 has four pairs so has eight wires

Pair 1 Orange / White Orange
Pair 2 Green / White Green
Pair 3 Blue / White Blue
Pair 4 Brown / White brown

Take one of these pairs and connect to terminals 2 and 5 forget terminal 3

Not sure what your configuration is in you last sentence as it seems a bit confused mixing ethernet and phone outlets

Thanks again for the replies. I'm sorry for causing confusion. The cable I have has 4 pairs and I now understand how to connect them to the BT master socket in the hall and to the extended Master socket next to the router in the cupboard. The plan is to then connect the router to the extended master socket as normal and connect jack plugs to the ends of the Cat 5 cables and connect into the router. The other end of the Cat 5 Cable goes to the socket outlets in the various rooms. I have 2 separate cat 5 cables going to 2 socket oulets in a room. Is it possible to have a phone and broadband connection from one single socket or should I have one connected to the router and one connected from the extended Master socket in the cupboard next to the router?

I hope this makes sense and thanks for your patience.
I've attached a photo of the BT master socket

Regards
Adrian

RegView attachment 12302ards

Adrian

If your Cat 5 only has 6 wires then it is not Cat 5. Cat 5 has four pairs so has eight wires

Pair 1 Orange / White Orange
Pair 2 Green / White Green
Pair 3 Blue / White Blue
Pair 4 Brown / White brown

Take one of these pairs and connect to terminals 2 and 5 forget terminal 3

Not sure what your configuration is in you last sentence as it seems a bit confused mixing ethernet and phone outlets

You need a double socket - you can run 2 cat5 cables to this socket.
One will be connected to the RJ45 socket and plug (at router)
the other will be connected to the Telephone socket in each room and the master socket in the hall way.

Dont forget there is a maximum length that you can extent telephone cables for use with broadband.

You need a double socket - you can run 2 cat5 cables to this socket.
One will be connected to the RJ45 socket and plug (at router)
the other will be connected to the Telephone socket in each room and the master socket in the hall way.

Dont forget there is a maximum length that you can extent telephone cables for use with broadband.

Thanks for the reply. I already have all the cables in and plastered over, so I have 2 separate cat 5 cables going to 2 socket oulets in a room. Is it possible to have a phone and broadband connection from one single socket or should I have one connected to the router for broadband and one connected from the extended Master socket in the cupboard next to the router for the phone?

Thanks

Adrian

Reply to Help please re home network wiring. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net