Discuss Help replacing faulty dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Might want to get that Artex checked for asbestos as well while you're at it.

Friendly advice OP

If you’ve got big plans to redecorate, get the wiring sorted first. If you leave it, it’s just going to cause problems in the future.

It sounds like this place is going to be a full time doey-uppy

Ps. Where in Scotland, mate? I could do with a nice rewire job to get my teeth into

Through in Glasgow, might be a few month away from it affordability wise unfortunately!

The mad thing is that there was a new bathroom, consumer unit and boiler fitted only a few years ago. Quite surprised they didn't strip all the old wiring out and replace in the process.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated ;)

I'd just stop there, don't fit the dimmer switch, don't pass go, go directly to getting some quotes for a rewire.

There's a good chance that cable will be badly degraded be very careful when handling it

meanwhile, just to get the light working, I'd change that pattress for a deeper one, carefully attach ( using block connectors or wagos) some 1.0mm flex to the existing cables and then connect into the dimmer. does look like a rewire is needed tough.

I suggest you get some insulation tape and wrap it around the excess conductor that is visible. .

I think it needs more than that to be honest, that is a car crash there, tape is not enough, it is a complete mess.

I think it needs more than that to be honest, that is a car crash there, tape is not enough, it is a complete mess.

I concur, that's why I went on to say....

"If this is your house, I would advise you consult a local electrician with a view to having the installation inspected. That appears to be cloth covered wiring which in an ideal world shouldn't be in service."

Reply to Help replacing faulty dimmer switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net