Discuss Help. Socket removal in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes all the "maintenance free" connections were never actually recognised by the BS 7671-2008 it was always the manufacturers that regarded them as maintenance free, and so I think some sparks took it upon themselves to consider these as being non accessible joints but others, like myself never.

I haven't got the BGB with me yet but I believe that Reg 526.3 as been amended to include connections that are now regarded as maintenance free and not needed for inspection and testing, if they are marked "MF" and are to the manufacturers standards.

So I'm assuming that by 01/01/2012 you can consider WAGO connections to be of the inaccessible variety.

Last edited:
Thought it would be something like that, in which case they can be considered maintenance free and suitable for inaccessible joints now as it's only after 1/1/12 that installations *must* conform to the new regs, up until then you can choose either the original or the amended :)

I am not 100% sure, I have only been on a few rewires as a labourer, but you should take it upto the ceiling(or under the floorboard whichever way you are looking at it) and secure it there, knock a hole in the ceiling if it is difficult to acess, a plasterer is coming anyway.

Jonny up until the 31/12/11 you can only work to the BS 7671-2008, then after that all installations designed from the 01/01/2012 must be to the BS 7671-2011. For 6 months, I believe after this date, any installation designed before 01/01/2012 but installed up to 30/06/2012 can still be done to BS 7671-2008, that was how it was done in past years, and I'm sure it is the same.

The Widdler is about somewhere and I'm sure if I'm wrong he will tell us

Thought it would be something like that, in which case they can be considered maintenance free and suitable for inaccessible joints now as it's only after 1/1/12 that installations *must* conform to the new regs, up until then you can choose either the original or the amended :)

That's what I thought too.

As regards the OP, the future isn't looking too bright, as he states he's newly qualified then suggests the use of chock blocks, insulation tape and plastering over!:hanged:

Bit harsh there Amp Dave, I know there is a blank plate in my house that has 1 phase....and nothing else behind it, no idea where the neutral and earth have gone it is fine, once I qualify it will still be fine...probably.

Bit harsh there Amp Dave, I know there is a blank plate in my house that has 1 phase....and nothing else behind it, no idea where the neutral and earth have gone it is fine, once I qualify it will still be fine...probably.

Try not to use old terminology Ryan. Though it is to 3 phase Supplies we still refer, they are no longer termed phases but LINEs. So it is L1 L2 L3 and in a 230 volt mono-phase installation is LINE

It's just best to get into good habits early.

Ok had a look at the job now and I have a plan. They have taken out a stud wall so there is a socket or two which need removing..Fortunately it's fairly new wiring and now has loads of wire now coiled into the ceiling.My plan is to run this ring cable under the floor and terminate in a seperate fuse from which I plan to run a spur. Thanks for the constructive answers guys and the others not so constructive, the whole point of my post was to get the best and most professional result. I'm not too proud to ask for advice or opinions I lack experience. if the knockers out there have a better idea how to get started do tell.Once again thanks for the advice, it's really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you use pvc tape just for fastening cable to your rods for fishing you won't go far wrong. any joints, choc block or wagos, should not be taped, but enclosed in a joint box. happy days.

Can't the disconnected cabling just remain in the wall?

If it's cut from the circuit and dead as a dodo is there anything wrong with plastering over it?

I've done a few replastering jobs before where I've found now defunct cables in a wall following a rewire.

Can't the disconnected cabling just remain in the wall?

If it's cut from the circuit and dead as a dodo is there anything wrong with plastering over it?

I've done a few replastering jobs before where I've found now defunct cables in a wall following a rewire.

if i read the OP correctly, the cable is not "dead", it's a ring final with a couple of sockets removed. circuit still in use.

Telectrix you assume correctly. However all the cables will now be used and run under floor boards to a surface mounted fuse (13A?) which will sit in a cupboard, then a spur run along the safe zone to a new socket in the new wall.

Ah ok I see what your saying yes I guess that would be an option but the time consuming bit would be getting to the source of that bit of the ring, which I think is the consumer unit which is 3 rooms away and lots of furniture and floorboards to disturb.My question was really is it unthinkable to connect a ring up and plaster it over,which I guessed would be frowned upon but wanted ideas and options.

Telectrix you assume correctly. However all the cables will now be used and run under floor boards to a surface mounted fuse (13A?) which will sit in a cupboard, then a spur run along the safe zone to a new socket in the new wall.

If you're only spuring one socket off the ring then there's no need for FCU (fused connection unit) as long as the cable feeding the spur is the same size as the ring.

It's only if there will be more than one that you will need one. Have a look at Appendix 15, page 362 in BS 7671.

Hi Jud, thanks I am aware of that but the location of the spur will be such that it will probably feed a tv and subject to future additions so thought it would be prudent to ad a FCU at this point rather than later.

Reply to Help. Socket removal in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net