Discuss Help with a 3 phase star delta motor in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not had the chance to read every reply on this but it sounds like the reason it was running slower was because in star, it only had 230v on its windings which were designed for 400v. In effect it was almost stalling. Then when the delta kicked in, it had the full 400v and ran at its designed speed.
4kW motor is well able to be run of a DOL starter. If you didn't want to get another starter you could connect it in delta and connect the 3 cables to the load side of the RUN contactor (see the diagram on a previous page). Just make sure that the overload setting is within range about 8amp.
I wouldn't bother with an invertor unless the customer wants to vary the speed.

I think that there's a bit of inexperience here-maybe you should have told the customer that the motor was sha**ed and that you would replace the whole lot as a new installation, then at least he is bearing the cost (it is a business cost), not you wasting your time trying to get the whole story out of him. IMO there is a line which you don't want to cross, otherwise you may become a busy fool. If this happens on a few jobs at the same time you would need overloads to manage. Also, a new installation is not always more expensive-it comes with guarantees and warranties, you can be sure the whole install will do what it says on the tin and he gets peace of mind for the future. If he does go elsewhere someone else can be a busy fool.

Reply to Help with a 3 phase star delta motor in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good day to you. I need electrical drawings urgently and hopefully there is someone that can assist me. They are all for electrical trade test...
Replies
Views
Hi Changing a 3 phase star delta motor and replacing with a dol 3 phase motor. Would i be right in thinking I can remove 3 of the 6 cables at...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, We have a CNC router which uses single phase for the spindle, stepper motors and control box. This is all wired in and working...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have recently purchased a motor soft starter from aliexpress for a 3 phase motor Before connecting load I measured the input and...
Replies
Views
Heeelp! I have an 11kW/21A motor which is attached to a hydraulic power pack. I have replaced the old panels with new, using the same star delta...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock