Discuss Help with a vintage doorbell and wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

NicoNix

DIY
Reaction score
Help please!

Got this to use as a doorbell but unsure of specifics and wiring. If someone could maybe help with a diagram/specific parts or even drawing on the photos to show me!

I’m a DIYer, very aware of health and safety with electrics, busy renovating an old property. I’ve put lights in/added sockets etc.

What I know… mains to a transformer to the button (don’t have one yet but know it comes in different voltages) to the bell and back to transformer. Not sure on what type of transformer.

If anyone can make this simpler to understand. Please help.

Thanks
Gavin

IMG_3181.jpegIMG_3182.jpeg

TL;DR
Help wiring a 230v vintage bell as a doorbell
its a mains voltage supplied bell.... i would say a school bell?

it says 200/250v on the cover

You cant use a regular doorbell button... not rated for that voltage.

You can get "retractive" switches that operate 230v, look like a lightswitch... but you would have to source a weatherproof one if going outside.

Save a bit of hassle and buy a regular "ding dong" from screwfix.... Comesin a kitwith a load of bellwire. Might need to get a seperate transformer though.

looks like a very old class change bell from a school premises, personally I wouldn't use it, I am sure it can be made to work but we are in 2024 and there are many better options for a door bell.

Operated by a solenoid. Mains on pulls the hammer in as soon as this happens the circuit is broken, when it returns the circuit makes and on goes the cycle hence the ringing of the bell. Turn the dome to adjust the tone as the fixing bolt is off centre, going to be loud.

its a mains voltage supplied bell.... i would say a school bell?

it says 200/250v on the cover

You cant use a regular doorbell button... not rated for that voltage.

You can get "retractive" switches that operate 230v, look like a lightswitch... but you would have to source a weatherproof one if going outside.

Save a bit of hassle and buy a regular "ding dong" from screwfix.... Comesin a kitwith a load of bellwire. Might need to get a seperate transformer though.
Thanks for the reply, I just need to find something that has this exact bell sound but something I can use as a doorbell. Hard to search for a sound haha

Operated by a solenoid. Mains on pulls the hammer in as soon as this happens the circuit is broken, when it returns the circuit makes and on goes the cycle hence the ringing of the bell. Turn the dome to adjust the tone as the fixing bolt is off centre, going to be loud.
Yeah I get that thanks for the reply. Just need to find a doorbell that has the same ring. Hard to search for a sound haha

looks like a very old class change bell from a school premises, personally I wouldn't use it, I am sure it can be made to work but we are in 2024 and there are many better options for a door bell.
Thanks for the reply. Any idea of something you could recommend that has a similar old style ring. Hard to search for something with just an idea of a sound

do you live next door to a school, and just want to play silly beggers 20 minutes into the school day?

This whole thing reminds me of when i wired a fire alarm sounder to my car horn.... 🤪

How about one of these ? No supply needed and has the benefit of having an array of different knocks for all types of moods.

images.jpg

Reply to Help with a vintage doorbell and wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net