Discuss Hi I have installed a new ceiling lights switch but it doesn't work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Keith B

DIY
Reaction score
DIY ENTHUSIAST NEW FORUM MEMBER.

I took a photograph of the old wiring set up( which was working) and used it as a guide for wiring the new one.

The lights themselves are housed in the loft above and I was wondering if a fuse has blown in the plug or that there is a reboot button somewhere.

Could we possibly get a photo of the old wiring and the new switch?

Light fittings don’t normally come with plugs and fuses… so I would imagine this is simply a wiring error at the switch and nothing too serious.

Is it just a regular switch, dimmer or electronic smart switch?

Light fittings don’t normally come with plugs and fuses… so I would imagine this is simply a wiring error at the switch and nothing too serious.

Hi apologies for the delay in responding. The switch is just a ordinary pull switch

Attachments

• LIGHTPULL 5.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 21
  • LIGHTPULL 1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 21
  • LIGHTPULL 3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 23
  • LIGHTPULL 4.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 22
  • LIGHTPULL 6.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 23
  • LIGHTPULL 2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 20
Is there any other wires above the switch?
Is it 2 separate cables? One red and bare earth, and the other black and bare earth?
Or is it a twin and earth, but then where does other bare earth come from?

Looking at “light pull 4” it doesn’t appear that the black is fully in the terminal, unless it’s really long.
Power off, give the black a pull and see if it’s loose.

Hi again, there are 6 lights in the bathroom ceiling with access to the electrics in the loft

Are you changing the switch because it was faulty, or just for aesthetics?

Hi again, there are 6 lights in the bathroom ceiling with access to the electrics in the loft
Was this a case of simply changing a switch like for like ?

As said, it's a little strange to have the extra cpc.

There's an issue or two that needs addressing here, but a possibility for the lights not working is that it's a 2W switch, and the connections have been made to the two strapper terminals. Easily done if the original switch was marked, L1, L2, and L3, and the new is marked C, L1 and L2.

Reactions: DPG
Looks like the lights are off and nobody's at home :)

Is there any other wires above the switch?
Is it 2 separate cables? One red and bare earth, and the other black and bare earth?
Or is it a twin and earth, but then where does other bare earth come from?

Looking at “light pull 4” it doesn’t appear that the black is fully in the terminal, unless it’s really long.
Power off, give the black a pull and see if it’s loose.
Hi Yes it has two earths, I will do as suggested thanks

Reply to Hi I have installed a new ceiling lights switch but it doesn't work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net