Discuss Honest opinion on safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

tiburon

DIY
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a disaster at the minute and would like an honest opinion. I am having a gas stove fitted in the corner of my room and switching the position of the current fire (which was a horrible flueless gas fire in the middle of the room) and the TV (in the corner where the new stove is to go). I had an electrician come out to chase the walls to get me a socket to where I would need it for the new TV. As it's a gas fire and the sockets are metal the stove people have confirmed there is no issue with heat behind the stove so to avoid removing the old socket and wrecking upstairs we've left it in place and the electrician has taken a spur off it (the only spur as it's a ring). No issue there as far as I can see and job carried out pretty swiftly.

The stove fitter then came last week and started to core the hole for the balanced flue in the corner of the room. I assumed he'd measured to avoid the socket on that wall but he hadn't and hadn't and cored straight through the cable for the socket (you'd almost think he'd aimed for it). Contrary to what he thinks (shrugged his shoulders and said he's fine because he had rubber boots on - I think it more likely that the MCB tripping, which tripped before the RCD, saved him). I spoke to the electrician who'd done the chasing for the spur for me and he said I 100% needed to dig up the floors upstairs to remove the cut cable and fit new cables and conduits, which didn't sound overly appetising. The other option was to chase a path round the flue pipe at right angles and connect the existing cables, which I understand is against the regulations in terms of safe zones with a view to drilling (although the argument that you'd never be drilling near the stove was raised as you can't hang things near it). The stove fitter had his electrician friend come out to look and sort it. I checked that he was a qualified electrician which thankfully he was but he has been to sort it now and I have serious doubts about the safety of the work.

He essentially chose option 2, chasing around the flue pipe outside the safe zones, which I can sort of forgive as the homeowner given the destruction that digging up the floors above would have entailed. I thought I'd be able to see what he'd done to verify that it was acceptable but when I went into the room, to my surprise, he'd already plastered over it. I asked him to explain and essentially what he did was chase the wall (with an SDS drill rather than a chaser), remove the two cables serving the socket below that had been severed and replace them with just a single cable into the socket, which he then connected to the two ring cables above the flue, effectively, as far as I can see as someone who is not an electrician, making the socket below a spur off the ring. The first issue that struck me is that, since the new socket for the TV is a spur fed from that, this surely makes the TV socket a spur off a spur, which I didn't think was allowed on the ring. His argument was that, since the socket behind the stove will never be used it isn't really a spur and more just a connection point and since the TV socket will only be used to power a TV, Sky box, etc. it will never exceed 13 amps. These are arguments I understand but of which I'm wary!

Second - and main - concern is that he connected his new cable to the two ring cables above the flue with Wago 221 lever connectors, taped the cable entry point 'to prevent moisture entering' and plastered over them without putting them in a box. I had always though Wagos needed to be in a Wago box to be maintenance free and plastering over the Wago connectors themselves really concerned me.

I suppose what I'd like to know is what electricians think of these two issues and whether there is any real safety concern now that it has been done or if it's now just a case of it shouldn't have been done but it has been so leave it now rather than dig it all out again. If there's a safety concern, I'm happy to pay for another electrician to come and do it right, even though it's clearly the stove fitter's fault that any electrical work had to be done in the first place.

Neither of those two observations is acceptable.

A wago terminal is only acceptable within an enclosure (doesn't have to be a wago box but that is best for maintenance free applications like this) tape is not acceptable.

No taking a spur off a spur is also not acceptable, ok not too unsafe in this case where actually only one (second) socket outlet is in use, but in the future if the stove is not used and the first socket outlet is, then the current rating of the single cable could be exceeded.

I doubt the guy was an electrician, it's basic stuff.

Neither of those two observations is acceptable.

A wago terminal is only acceptable within an enclosure (doesn't have to be a wago box but that is best for maintenance free applications like this) tape is not acceptable.

No taking a spur off a spur is also not acceptable, ok not too unsafe in this case where actually only one (second) socket outlet is in use, but in the future if the stove is not used and the first socket outlet is, then the current rating of the single cable could be exceeded.

I doubt the guy was an electrician, it's basic stuff.
Thanks, Julie, for confirming what I feared was the case. As you say, it's basic stuff (it must be if my analysis was correct when I'm not an electrician).

I think it's time to isolate the circuit and dig the new plaster out and expose the suspect joint

Then take a picture and post it on here and we may be able to suggest a fix that meets the regs

You can get away with the “spur from a spur” in this case by simply jointing through and putting a blank plate on instead of a socket. If it’s never going to be used.

But WAGOs in the wall is an absolute shambles

It's definitely poor practice and I wonder how the cables were long enough and how many joints were put in. They sell little gell filled enclosures that would have been ideal. Did they carry out any testing or provide a minor works certificate?

Reply to Honest opinion on safety in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net