Discuss How do I install this dimmer switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Wrong forum? U.S. here. If yes...my apology.
Naively, I thought the number of wires, and the the wire colors, would match. House was built in 1989 in California.
Thank you....

Attachments

• Light Switch Wall Wiring1.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Dimmer Switch Wiring.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Light Panel.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 10
Is there any wiring diagram on the switch itself?

Maybe an American member could shed some light? @Megawatt ?

You might find the dimmer will not work with the CFL lamps fitted... They might have to be changed to filament, or if a modern dimmer, LED

You seem to have a 3-way switch with 2 red wires. (In UK parlance 2-way) for switching a light with another switch also controlling the same light. But your old switch is just 2-way on/off I think.
You can, according to the instructions, leave one "unused" red wire not connected (but insulated)

The wiring diagram is here https://www.maxximastyle.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/39
Green wire is ground - connect to the bare wires.
Just follow the instructions for the black and one red.
You'll need an extra wire nut to join to the black wire thats going directly to the old switch.

Finally, if the 3rd pic is the lamps you want to dim, are you sure those CFL bulbs (the spiral ones), are dimmable, because standard ones are not. I guess you may be replacing the bulbs anyway. edit - I see littlespark beat me to it with that observation!

Little Spark and Avo Mk8, Thank you very much for your quick responses.
I will replace all the bulbs with dimmable LED. Thanks for pointing out the CFL bulbs.
Yes...the old switch is only on/off with no other switch that controls the light bar.

Okay:
Green wire connects to the bare copper wires (ground) Red wire nut..
Red wire labeled 3-Way will not be connected and will be insulated by itself.
Other Red wire--
Black wire--

In the wall wiring photo above... there are 2 thick black wires connected to the current switch. The top black wire is connected to a bundle of black wires with a Yellow wire nut. The other thick black wire, attached to the bottom of the switch, appears to disappear into the wall (this wire will have to be cut and and will require the extra wire nut mentioned above?). There is also a separate bundle of white wires with a Yellow wire nut.

Other Red wire attaches--?
Black wire attaches--?

Below are the schematics that came with the dimmer switch.

When I was a young child, I stuck a large metal paper clip in a live wall socket. My respect for electricity is well developed....

Attachments

• Dimmer Wiring Schematic page 2 of 2.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Dimmer Wiring Schematic page 1 of 2.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 1
Okay:
Green wire connects to the bare copper wires (ground) Red wire nut..
Red wire labeled 3-Way will not be connected and will be insulated by itself.
Other Red wire--
Black wire--

Apologies, but I should say that, as a condition of this forum, we are not supposed to give step by step advice.

So I would just ask you to think about where you've got to. You have a new switch where you know you have two wires, red and black, to connect. You have an old light switch with two wires and you wish to substitute two new wires.

If the light you are switching is the only one (no other fittings), the 'bundle of blacks' is probably the hot, and the single wire going off is the load. However if the switch works lots of lights, it's likely the other way round. If you have a multimeter, you can check which of the two blacks is the permanent hot, and which is switched.

I'm sure you can take it from there!

Last edited:

Reply to How do I install this dimmer switch? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net