Discuss How do scheme providers look upon PULLING THE MAIN DIST FUSE in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, been a while...

As im soon to register with scheme either Esc Or Nap, i was wondering how the whole issue of pulling the main fuse when doing consumer unit change is delt with.?
I mean its illegal but how can they asses your work if they know that you have cut the seal .....DO they not look at this at all? Do they just come look at finished product. And say as example, on job doing complete Rewire, temp supply running and they coming to check, at some point you would need to pull fuse...to change over...kinda same senerio but with a rewire they would be check work progressively no?, thus would they ask for documents stating DNO had made cut and re seal. ??

if any other threads dealing with this you could point me to em please..

Good work guys...

all best
J

Rule no.1 ..... look after no.1 !! Pull the fuse, tag was already cut.

The schemes only look at work that has generally already been completed .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats why the Agencies looking to hire (sorry Fleece) Electricians now all ask for 17th edition, 2391 AND a DNO Athorisation Card, which only former employees of the power board have.....then they offer 6pounds 25pence an hour, plus you have to use your own van and tools, fuel etc and tour all over the UK.....ever see the huge number of meter installer jobs advertised now due to the complete refurbishment/overhaul in progress to get all the meters changed UK wide??
I know of a lad who was working in a Council office, never done anything else since he left school, his sister(also a council worker-in HR department) was "seeing" a bloke that worked for the power board who got him put on a 2 week training course at the power company head office, then there he was, 2 weeks out of the council and he had a company van, fuel card, laptop, mobile, tools and changing meters on 12.75 an hour, and a bonus after he fitted his target of 3 household meters a day LOL

you should not cut the seal. But ive never seen a seal on any job that ive had to pull the fuse on,?? Dont worry about the seal, dont worry about pulling the fuse. There are much more important things to worry about. Just do what you have to do to be safe.

Officially live working isn’t allowed so how do you get around it? I’ve done live swaps before but I’ve learnt sense since! Pulling live 7.036 singes out of a metal clad switch isn’t my idea of fun.

Pull the fuse, it’s your life on the line.

I need to ask, were does it say you cant pull a main fuse, or brake the seal, people always talk about it, but i have never seen a peace of paper to say you cant pull a main fuse, but to wire direct in to it is another matter, as then this is clased as theft.

Hi I've recently (jan) had my elecsa assessment which included a cu change on which I pulled the fuse, I resealed and said nothing. The asssessor didn't mention it either. Luckily the original seals seemed to fall off when required!

Last edited:
I've read on other threads that the rules state (in words to the effect) that you are not allowed to pull the fuse unless permission by the DNO was unreasonably withheld.
Is this correct? If so, surely forcing you to work live, bearing in mind the EAWR, is withholding permission unreasonably.

Err if you didn't ask them to remove the fuse you could hardly accuse them of unreasonably withholding permission! If you ask them and then pull it you are opening yourself up as you will have effectively said there was a seal and will therefore look dodgy if/when they turn up. If you didn't ask and work live then its only you who is to blame!

Hi I've recently (jan) had my elecsa assessment which included a cu change on which I pulled the fuse, I resealed and said nothing. The asssessor didn't mention it either. Luckily the original seals seemed to fall off when required!

Yeah this is what im interested in......whether the assessors mention it....I agree that its important to make safe again. I will be for sure buying my own seals to re seal in future, i feel that is a responsible stand , as at least your protecting client or showing the client that you take the securing of the main fuse serious if they saw you that is, thus in turn they may think twice about ever pulling their-selves...

THANKS GUYS for feed back.

Worse case your dead or you go to court(which i very much doubt) You start "playing" with the meter seal im sure things will head towards the latter
All depends how much you value your life! or a fine,Its a tuffy :)

The electricity companies give the meter installers a ratchet crimping tool with a unique serial number embossed on it that transfers to the aluminium tag on the seal, when they get "fully qualified" after their 2 weeks part time training, the company orders it from the factory and when it arrives (sometimes up to 3 weeks later) they give it to the worker and its registered against their name.
When they read your meter each time the first thing they do is look at these seals, and if missing or without a number stamped into them, they begin legal action for alleged supply(meter) bypass attempt or meter reversal.....
Means customer gets prosecuted and you get pulled in as well, hence Power board approval registration card and your own individual sealing tool....
just a thought...

I have this same problem. I phoned Power networks (who own the fuses and meter equipment etc)to ask for tags to be removed. They said I must phone the elec supplier ie EON. They said it would cost £50 for an engineer to come out wednesday next week to remove lead tag while I do the work then replace the tags. The other alternative they gave me was that I supply and install an isolator straight after the meter and they will remove and replace tags for free. New instalations come with this isolator so you dont have to cut the tags. But the anoying thing is that I guess you have to wait until a specific day to do the work. I have considered snipping the tags now that I have booked an appointment and do the work so all they have to do wednesday is replace the tags. Dont know uptight they are about actualy snipping it themselves. This work is in my neibours home so I got to do it right LOL.

I have this same problem. I phoned Power networks (who own the fuses and meter equipment etc)to ask for tags to be removed. They said I must phone the elec supplier ie EON. They said it would cost £50 for an engineer to come out wednesday next week to remove lead tag while I do the work then replace the tags. The other alternative they gave me was that I supply and install an isolator straight after the meter and they will remove and replace tags for free. New instalations come with this isolator so you dont have to cut the tags. But the anoying thing is that I guess you have to wait until a specific day to do the work. I have considered snipping the tags now that I have booked an appointment and do the work so all they have to do wednesday is replace the tags. Dont know uptight they are about actualy snipping it themselves. This work is in my neibours home so I got to do it right LOL.
This is because there ment to fit a isolator to all new biulds and upgrade the old, The way they suggest is getting you to do it for free(CLever DNO)
All you ever have to say to them is there was dangerous situation and you had to cut the fuse because didnt provide means of isolation! what can they say to you?
Get real people, there only going to take you to court if some 1 fiddles there meter after you ve cut the tag, retag it, More to the point they ll only ever no you ve cut the tag if you ring and ask to do so and they say NO! On the comments part of the form put "No tag in place before i started work". Seems to me every 1 is super paraniod again going to court rather then there safety!
The tag issue is a joke, You cut the meter tag without informing them be it on your head! You cut the fuse tag for safety plain and simple.
Every 1 does it, Its been going on for years whats the problem? Yes its illegal, Its illegal to go over 70 MPH! Its illegal to use your phone whilest driving!
Rant over!

i usually ask myself for permission to remove the fuse, and the answer is always yes. I have never had to ask myself for permission to cut the seal as the seal is never there. What do these seals look like? do they live in the meter cabinets?

Reply to How do scheme providers look upon PULLING THE MAIN DIST FUSE in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net