Discuss Pulling main fuse and smart meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi all.
just a quick insight into the reason we don't fit isolators to every job when installing a new meter.
1: If the consumer tails are too short as we are instructed to fit them in the bottom of the isolator as if the fixings fail the tails that drop would be dead.
2 we are not authorised to carry out any work on a consumer unit or associated cables other than termination into the meter or isolator if we can fit one
3 space on the meter board. some as you know are limited.

This said I will generally fit an isolator where I can and you should find that all new installs/new builds have them as standard.
Other scenarios are that we do force fit some pre payment meters due to debt on accounts and if we are executing a warrant then speed is of the essence taking into account some of the places we fit meters. ( i wouldnt let my dogs stay in some )

As for pulling fuses we are trained to do so and are required to report any unsafe situations such as rotten meter boards, exposed copper etc. We also have full flame retardant double layered clothing and full PPE which is mandatory. A friend of mine had a flash over due to a faulty cut out and rotten board which gave way when putting the fuse back in and the PPE saved his skin although his boxers needed replaced.

Im sure there will be a few Yeah Buts to 1-2 and 3 and some of the other context but thats just a brief overview which I hope clarifies part of the initial question.

stay safe

I think we will see a lot of "activity " the next 6 months . People are already offering to work with lives tails in order to bypass meters . Small consumer to run kitchen ring, boiler etc . So you still get a bill but its lower. I doubt the companies have the resources to check any "smart meter " flagging . I think most of it is just a myth !. Ive never heard of anyone getting a visit

I have a rewire ongoing where someone was due to come and change the meter, so I left an isolator with a written note on the wall to please put his tails into it (no CU currently in place).

Instead he fitted his own, as apparently that is "all they are allowed to use" - a Chint one with a rather flimsy feeling main switch, but at least it makes things easy for me going forward.

Of course, a sensible industry would have an isolator built into every meter by now, like some non smart ones originally did apparently (never seen one though)

Interestingly CJR's latest youtube vid shows him not only pulling the fuse, but also removing the fuse from the holder and replacing with a differently rated one....

Interestingly CJR's latest youtube vid shows him not only pulling the fuse, but also removing the fuse from the holder and replacing with a differently rated one....
The other channels generally nod and wink, but avoid showing it even when it's obvious they've done it - not sorry someone has made it open what everyone knows goes on.

Up rating or down rating? Down rating if the tails are undersized I wouldn't have such a problem with, but uprating assumes that you know the condition of the incomer/local demand, etc - something I doubt even the DNO knows these days....

A lot of risk in documenting that, should something happen....

All these problems could have been avoided if the 'smart' meters had a built in isolation switch, shame it was taken out of the specification due to cost. Safety first! (unless it costs money).
About 15 years ago (or therabouts) I was at a SELECT meeting and a consultation on smart meters was happening and they asked if we had feedback.

I suggested the new meters have a built in BS EN 60947-3 isolator (as several Hydro ones have) and this was passed up the food chain

After things were settled I asked about the isolators and was informed that they were ruled out for cost reasons as it would add £5 to a smart meter cost

About 15 years ago (or therabouts) I was at a SELECT meeting and a consultation on smart meters was happening and they asked if we had feedback.

I suggested the new meters have a built in BS EN 60947-3 isolator (as several Hydro ones have) and this was passed up the food chain

After things were settled I asked about the isolators and was informed that they were ruled out for cost reasons as it would add £5 to a smart meter cost
Given you a 'like' BE, as there isn't a 'scary' option.

On new builds we fitted isolators to all smart meters, it was the only way self connection could be made for the on site spark's.
The supply energised meter on wall isolator with 230V on the screws.

I once asked a WPD intake team who were drawing in a new line for a remote new-build to put in an isolator for me. Was told that they couldn't do it as technically because it was downstream of the intake it came under Part P - and they weren't part of a scheme!!

That was a good few years ago now, hopefully things have moved on somewhat....

Although I had a bit of a headscratcher in London back in lockdown, conversion of an old warehouse into a BMO - I was installing the initial BNO infrastructure. Trouble was, the developer wanted to move into one unit of six before the rest were even remotely finished, basically living on a building site. Talked directly to the UKPN engineer and when we came to move the 200/3 intake position I installed an adjustable ELCB before the run out to the Ryefield and meters. We mutually agreed it fell right off the charts in terms of normal regs and proceedures for both of us but was the right engineering thing to do.

Reply to Pulling main fuse and smart meters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net