Discuss How many leds can the dimmer run in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have Collingwood hs2 extreme led dimmable lights I will be installing in the soffit around the house.
The lights specs are:
Input current 0.02A, input power 4.6w, inrush current of 1A, 0.24ms, power factor of 0.8.
Collingwood suggest that 7 units can be connected to 250w dimmer, 14 to 500w and 21 to 1000w.
I want to use fibaro dimmer2, which is rated 50-240w for conventional.load, and 50-200va for capacitive.
Would be ok to connect 7 units to it?

You are fine with the dimmer2 unit once the lights are turned on.
Thing is, you have inrush current of 7 amps, so when you first turn them on for 0.24ms the current and power go briefly sky high.
So the two questions are:
1) Will the inrush current trip the breaker (no in this case, a B6 will survive 7 amps easily for 0.24 seconds)
2) Will that 240w dimmer survive the approx 1600w inrush current. (hmmm....?)

Many lighting websites suggest a rule of thumb of dividing the dimmer rating by 10 for LED lighting. Doing that would means only installing 5 units on that dimmer. That is obviously more conservative than the manufacturer says.

Bottom line is to be totally sure I'd be suggesting either at least a 350w dimmer for that load, or a dimmer made specifically for LED lighting with overload protection such as the Varilight V-Pro.

Once switched on, the steady state demand from 7 lamps would seem to be 32.5W (or less for fewer bulbs).
This is below the Fibaro minimum of 50w.
Might work. Might not.

I support the rule of thumb for derating dimmers not designed solely for LED's (and for all Chinese products ?)

Reply to How many leds can the dimmer run in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net