Discuss I’m thinking of switching to a Hive 2 thermostat not sure it will work on my system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pspec

Hi

I’m thinking of switching to a Hive 2 thermostat …..

I currently have a very old SUNVIC TLX thermostat which from what I can work out is only connected to the oil central heating circulating pump which it turns on and off..

There is also a thermostat on the electric hot water cylinder which seems to be only connected to the pump that circulates the hot water from the oil boiler to the electric hot water cylinder.

The oil boiler is outside and is controlled by an old timer clock (with metal pins you push in at the time you want it off and on)..

If the oil boiler timer is set to off, neither central heating or hot water will turn on….

Am not sure if the Hive would work as it needs to be in 3 places, hallway (to replace the SUNVIC thermostat), airing cupboard (to control the hot water pump), outside (to control the power to the boiler)..

From my research it seems most systems have the oil boiler and hot water cylinder next to each other and the thermostat controls the oil boiler directly. So the hive just sits next to them and does its thing….

Any thought …..

Thanks

That sounds like a very old fashioned system, but a decent electrician could make it work with a few extra components.
It may also require the running of a few cables to link the various components together.

I'd also look at the NEST thermostat rather than the Hive, in my opinion they are a better option, and if you shop around a bit you can get them at a decent price.

My oil boiler is a similar setup. I think you will need major modifications to make it work, but as Dave said it would be possible.

Thanks guys....

I looked at the nest first but I don't have that much of a need for the learning aspect and a lot of people were moaning about the updates for them. They were saying everything was working fine so in there opinion there wasn't any need for an update. But the updates was forced upon them and in some instances it wiped out all the settings so in the middle of the night they would lose there Central Heating and they would need to reset it up... happened at 3am to this one guy and the house dropped below 0c so he had to get up and sort it out....

Have you heard of this sort of thing.. or is there any reason you prefer the nest as I'm not fix totally on The Hive 2.....

The nest system gives you lots of scope and the learning system is really clever. Yes there was an update and in some cases it does wipe the programs but all the ones I have installed non of my customer have had any issues.

As said you should be able to have the nest thermostat installed on your system there may need to be some wiring modification needed but an electrican will be able to sort that.

Also hive is a British gas product and they will need to install it.

Thanks guys....

I looked at the nest first but I don't have that much of a need for the learning aspect and a lot of people were moaning about the updates for them. They were saying everything was working fine so in there opinion there wasn't any need for an update. But the updates was forced upon them and in some instances it wiped out all the settings so in the middle of the night they would lose there Central Heating and they would need to reset it up... happened at 3am to this one guy and the house dropped below 0c so he had to get up and sort it out....

Have you heard of this sort of thing.. or is there any reason you prefer the nest as I'm not fix totally on The Hive 2.....

The hive is battery powered and the nest is either connected to the existing wiring or plugs in to a socket if used wirelessly, the avoids my biggest issue with such things which is that the batteries can go flat and leave you in the cold.

Also I've never had an issue with the nests I have fitted but have had a couple with hives. Plus I've found the nest app and web interface easier to use and explain to customers

Reply to I’m thinking of switching to a Hive 2 thermostat not sure it will work on my system in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net