Discuss ID colours of Conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

Just a thought to put it out there. Why not make the coulours that ID our conductors more simple and standard. Way back when I did my appieyship in early to mid 70,s be as it may abroad. Apart from the earth [Green and yellow] then we only had 1 colour as standard and to ID and the was neutral which was always black in those days everthing else was "live" Then it went and made it a lot easier as the Red was always the supply say at a light switch and White Blue Pink Orange whatever was either a switch line or strapper. Even today I still cannot come to terms when say wiring an emg light with perm feed and if say the black or grey are used as the perm feed they have to be sleeved or tagged with brown sleeve why?? they are line conductors and always treated as live [Yes I know N is now considered a live conductor] Same a x2 way switching so much emphasis is placed on poncing around and sleeving black and grey strappers why black and grey are standard live conductors. So now the only conductor that has to be sleeved is a grey in a x3 core when it is being used as a N. Simpliis

It's a moot discussion anyway, as it's not going to change. Besides, a lot of DIY electrical work does indeed use any colour available...I even come across automotive wiring from time to time used for fan switching :)

It is a bit silly, I have to admit. I can't imagine many electicians would open up Mrs Jones' light switch at the top of the stairs and see unsleeved 3core and think, "ah, so they have three phases going to this light switch - brown, black, and grey..."

If you ask me they should make 3core+earth with all brown conductors. It wouldn't be confusing to identify which is which as you could describe them as "the brown next to the brown", "the middle brown", and "the brown next to the CPC."

It is a bit silly, I have to admit. I can't imagine many electicians would open up Mrs Jones' light switch at the top of the stairs and see unsleeved 3core and think, "ah, so they have three phases going to this light switch - brown, black, and grey..."

If you ask me they should make 3core+earth with all brown conductors. It wouldn't be confusing to identify which is which as you could describe them as "the brown next to the brown", "the middle brown", and "the brown
next to the CPC."

What a joy that would be, 'now which brown was the common...." 3-core could and can be used to take three phase and often is in some commercial kitchens. stick with the status quo I say

Bring back the old Red Yellow Blue and Black!! Bright easily distinguishable colours, even in dark areas, unlike the darker tonal colours you use today... Been on many a project where the phase colours were used throughout the installation on final circuits etc!! The only trouble with such installations, are the plonkers that come in after, and use red conductors for any and all extensions and/or additions to the installations!! Very lucky if you get a bit of coloured PVC tape to show phase designation!!

can't agree more. r/y/b. sensible. these new colours are completely stupid. typical of eurocrats who can't distinguish their arse from their elbow. 9 unless, of course, their elbow is sleeved brown, in which case thy're totally up their own arses)

Reply to ID colours of Conductors in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net