Discuss I'm confused, feeling low and need help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

omni

Hey.

Been scouring these forums for over a year now. Just wanted to thank whoever made them, they're brilliant.
Thanks.

Basically the reason why i'm making this post is i'm completly baffled what to do. I'm at my wits end.
I'm 24 years old went travelling when i was 21 and worked for an electrical company for 9 months in Australia, i must of phoned up about 13-14 companies asking for work while i was there, all in all it was easy peasy to get a job, i had no experience within the trade i had no qualifications and i got a job in 1 day of searching.
Eventually i got an job/apprenticeship and loved it and because i was travelling i ofcourse had to continue with my travels and leave the job.

Okay here's what is making me lower than ive ever felt before in my life.

I get back home enroll on a 2330 course, and search for an electrical apprenticeship in the mean while.
There is NOTHING.
I've now completed my 2330 first year and have 1 more year left.
I havn't stopped looking for electrical work for about 2 years now and no company will employ me.
I have experience, drive, motivation, half the qualification and yet NOTHING.

It is really depressing, i have no money, no job, cannot find a job, feel trapped, living at home and i'm really confused what i can do to change this.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

Back to Australia and finish your training.
There is not gonna be work here for the next couple of years and if anything does come up you will be competing against more experienced/qualified people for it.
Sorry, but these are the darkest of days.

So you think its possible for me to complete the rest of my qualifications in Australia? Is there any way of getting a grant to finish them over there?

Grant is probably doubtful,but I do know of lots of sparks from here who got the relevant papers out there, so I would imagine it'll work both ways.
Sorry I cannot be of more help.

It's okay, thanks for taking the time to reply.

The thing is, i wouldn't mind going over there without a pound in my pocket, just as along as i knew i'd get a permanent job.
I'd live in a hostel in shared rooms for 2 years i don't give a ****.

But i'm confused because i've done half my 2330 qualification, is it possible to complete the rest of the qualifications i need to become a spark over there?

Would i need to apply for residency?

To apply for residency i'd need to be a 'skilled' worker.. i.e have 'all' qualifications right?

Isn't Australia going through the same **** that the UK is going through at the moment with this recession?

Would it cost me to study out there?

I'm actually quite confused why Australia don't offer grants to people that want to learn a trade and move to Aus, it's hardly a bad thing for their economy right?

feel for you.what part of country are you in,dont give up hope keep banging away and something will turn up no matter how bleak things may seem.chin up

Thanks

I'm from Chester, small city so it's kinda limited in terms of finding companys that will take me on.
I honestly think electrical firms are sick of me, since i call them every month.

And bigger companies require me to start an apprenticeship through them, so if i was to do that i'd of just wasted the year i've been doing on on my 2330 course to start an apprenticeship/work scheme with them.

Thanks

I'm from Chester, small city so it's kinda limited in terms of finding companys that will take me on.
I honestly think electrical firms are sick of me, since i call them every month.

And bigger companies require me to start an apprenticeship through them, so if i was to do that i'd of just wasted the year i've been doing on on my 2330 course to start an apprenticeship/work scheme with them.

Half a loaf is better than no bread.

Hey.

Been scouring these forums for over a year now. Just wanted to thank whoever made them, they're brilliant.
Thanks.

Basically the reason why i'm making this post is i'm completly baffled what to do. I'm at my wits end.
I'm 24 years old went travelling when i was 21 and worked for an electrical company for 9 months in Australia, i must of phoned up about 13-14 companies asking for work while i was there, all in all it was easy peasy to get a job, i had no experience within the trade i had no qualifications and i got a job in 1 day of searching.
Eventually i got an job/apprenticeship and loved it and because i was travelling i ofcourse had to continue with my travels and leave the job.

Okay here's what is making me lower than ive ever felt before in my life.

I get back home enroll on a 2330 course, and search for an electrical apprenticeship in the mean while.
There is NOTHING.
I've now completed my 2330 first year and have 1 more year left.
I havn't stopped looking for electrical work for about 2 years now and no company will employ me.
I have experience, drive, motivation, half the qualification and yet NOTHING.

It is really depressing, i have no money, no job, cannot find a job, feel trapped, living at home and i'm really confused what i can do to change this.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

You and me my friend! I'm in a similar situation although its early days yet. Ive just spent £5k on training: City & Guilds 2382/92, 17th edition and part P. I'm now virtually penniless and am unemployed! I have been searching for work for around 2 weeks now with nothing! I don't know, but these are miserable times, I'm in the north west of the country; maybe you have to head for the city? dunno?

as for Australia, well its not as easy to get into as this country i feel!

wonder why?

The UK situation is far worse than Oz....there's a surplus of skilled people (presently) in the UK and a shortage in Oz. Seems to me that applying for permanent residency in Oz is a bigger decision than whether you want to qualify as a sparky. Moving there is a big move and you need to be sure you want to do it. Also, it'll take AGES to happen anyway so my own reasoning would be that you need to persevere with the UK.

Getting a job is all about knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time.

Some positives:
- I've known quite a few contractors (in various fields) who have despaired at ever finding work and then one day they're sorted!
- The upturn WILL come, it's just a matter of when (my vote is for next Spring....the building trade is usually an early one to recover)
- Think about breaking apart the issues of training and employment. A friend of mine has found a job with the post office part time during the week and he's completing his 2330 on the remaining days. Sure, it would be nice to be practising as a sparky (or mate) while also doing the 2330 but it's not written in law that you must do it that way.
- You absolutely MUST make a nuisance of yourself to potential employers. If you don't call one week sod's law says they'll have a short term problem and you'll miss the chance.
- Think about taking short-term jobs either with an electrical contractor or an associated trade where you can get on site and get known to them.
- On another trade forum (shall remain nameless as it's not as helpful as this) there are quite a few strands about guys offering themselves to do unpaid work just to get known and get their foot in the door. You may not want to do that but you're competing with them in some instances.
- Do you have any other trade skills you could use to make yourself an income self-employed? In my area most of the guys who have been laid off are making a living doing private building work while they ride out the storm.
- Bold question but thought about finishing your training in the forces?

Chin up my friend, you've chosen a fine trade and the rewards will come. You need to figure out how to get yourself through the next few months/years.

You and me my friend! I'm in a similar situation although its early days yet. Ive just spent £5k on training: City & Guilds 2382/92, 17th edition and part P. I'm now virtually penniless and am unemployed! I have been searching for work for around 2 weeks now with nothing! I don't know, but these are miserable times, I'm in the north west of the country; maybe you have to head for the city? dunno?

wonder why?

I hear visa prices have doubled too, plus the skills needed register has been chopped down somewhat. So I'd forget Aus for now - unless you want a 12 month general working visa trip.

wonder why?

Aus is difficult to emmigrate to now.

It costs thousands and takes over a year to get a permanent residency working visa, including all the paper work, tests and costs. Getting into the country is pretty difficult, but them getting you out of it is hard.

Best thing is do a years working holiday visa which costed me £80 a couple of years ago. When you have your qualifications, travel for a bit, find where you wanna settle, sign up to an agency and phone around for jobs, then get lucky, lick arse and get them to sponser you.
I can't do that since i've already used my holiday working visa since you only get one per life time, unless you work for 3-6 months on a fruit farm while there, then you can apply for another year.

Don't think now is the best time to go Aus though since Aus is going through the same garbage the UK is going through with the recession and apparently Aussies are giving jobs to Aussies, unlike what they do in this **** hole of a country. So it'll just be the same if you go there now, if not harder.

Best thing for anyone at the moment is education, get as much done now since money seems more or less worthless in the UK at the moment, £200-£250 minimum per week makes baby jesus cry... can spend half of that on a 5 hour night out drinking.

When recession is over you'll be laughing at all others with the sun on your back and $80 000 a year before tax in your bank.. providing you're lucky, have drive and determination.

The UK situation is far worse than Oz....there's a surplus of skilled people (presently) in the UK and a shortage in Oz. Seems to me that applying for permanent residency in Oz is a bigger decision than whether you want to qualify as a sparky. Moving there is a big move and you need to be sure you want to do it. Also, it'll take AGES to happen anyway so my own reasoning would be that you need to persevere with the UK.

Getting a job is all about knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time.

Some positives:
- I've known quite a few contractors (in various fields) who have despaired at ever finding work and then one day they're sorted!
- The upturn WILL come, it's just a matter of when (my vote is for next Spring....the building trade is usually an early one to recover)
- Think about breaking apart the issues of training and employment. A friend of mine has found a job with the post office part time during the week and he's completing his 2330 on the remaining days. Sure, it would be nice to be practising as a sparky (or mate) while also doing the 2330 but it's not written in law that you must do it that way.
- You absolutely MUST make a nuisance of yourself to potential employers. If you don't call one week sod's law says they'll have a short term problem and you'll miss the chance.
- Think about taking short-term jobs either with an electrical contractor or an associated trade where you can get on site and get known to them.
- On another trade forum (shall remain nameless as it's not as helpful as this) there are quite a few strands about guys offering themselves to do unpaid work just to get known and get their foot in the door. You may not want to do that but you're competing with them in some instances.
- Do you have any other trade skills you could use to make yourself an income self-employed? In my area most of the guys who have been laid off are making a living doing private building work while they ride out the storm.
- Bold question but thought about finishing your training in the forces?

Chin up my friend, you've chosen a fine trade and the rewards will come. You need to figure out how to get yourself through the next few months/years.

Thanks alot, really nice of you to take the time to try help.
I'm 100% on moving Aus, been there, know what it's about and it ****es over the Uk.
The problem is... now.
Getting a job is hard at the moment and it's depressing, i'll keep plugging on.
And think of the light at the end of the tunnel.

I know what people say when "hope" can drive people crazy, it is with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to I'm confused, feeling low and need help. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net