Discuss Insp & Testing Handbooks? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jamie

Hi,

I am coming up to the end of my apprenticeship (next year will be my last week at college for the insp & testing week), and have been shadowing my journeyman doing Insp & Testing fully on old & new installations for the past three weeks (my boss says he'll leave me on this for a while to gain experience). Really good experience and I'm enjoying doing the 'less physical' side of sparking for a change rather then first fixes :cyclist:

I was wondering weather there where any Insp & Testing handbooks that I could bring with me whilst on the job so I can read through it and identify which test we are doing at which point, to help me get to know the sequence.

I have been looking at the IET Guidance Note 3 to buy, to bring along with my big green book and OSG, I know these two books will have all the information I need in them, but they don't delve into it as much as i'd like it too. The college lecturer made it look and sound much easier then what it is, when he put it into his own words and showed us what to do, at what points etc...

What's the best handbook to use during Insp & Testing, Should I just use my green book & OSG, or are there more simpler, precise books (GN3?) that I should get to help?

Forgive me for my naivety, I have only done Insp & Testing at college, so I'm not exactly comfortable fully with it yet.

Jamie

You can get the basics from the OSG, which is simple to read and follow (if you do not take too much notice of the diagrams!)
Thereafter GN3 should give you all the information you need to know regarding the regulatory requirements of inspection and testing but will not give the practical application.
Most of that will come from practical experience but it may help (after you know the requirements) to read some of Brian Scaddan's books on Inspection and testing and design and verification as they are more down to earth, in some ways.

Agree with Richard,mis-leading diagrams are worse than none for those learning...and the Scaddan series of books are very good. Remember,the sequence and theory behind testing is only part of the job. You will have to both interpret and apply those tests and results to the installation you are on. Knowledge of the system being tested can explain results being outside the parameters of that particular tests expected results. These are the things which are harder to teach,but are gained by experience and persistence.Good hunting.

Thanks guys, I'm going to order the Guidance note 3 book tonight, for what it's worth i'll get Brian's two books too that Richard linked :). My boss plans on putting me out on my own, He thinks i'm capable of going on my own (bare in mind i'm only in my 2nd year). My journeyman will be around the area all the time so if there are any problems i'd have to call him. I didn't think I could even do work on my own (not that I can do it, but as I'm not qualified..), never mind complete a electrical test fully..although he is the one signing them, no one would be at the job with me to guide me through it, so now i'll definitely need the books. What time in your guys' apprenticeship did you go out on your own?

I was left to wire up a garage , lights sockets , new submain swa through to switchfuse by service head, all circuits in conduit , then do innitial verification on the whole install and record the results ready for the EIC. This was in my second year. Bosses can be quite funny if they dont feel they are making money out of you.

Good luck mate :)

The NICEIC do a learning guide for 2394 Initial Verification, and 2395 Periodic Inspection. They explain in great detail the things that are covered in GN3, BS7671 and the OSG. As the title implies, they are learning guides, and would be ideal for you. They have some good exercises on finding certain things out, and a lot of C&G worded questions. I use both of these when i teach the courses, and would highly recommend them to anyone. They are about £20 each from the NICEIC Bookshop online.

Cheers................Howard

As above re GN3. If you want to be able to identify which tests your 'journeyman/mentor' is carrying out without asking them, try youtube. Also, tests are split into 'dead' and 'live'. Perhaps look at what each test verifies and why the sequence is then important for 'safety'.
You could then ask any questions you like to your journeyman. Good luck!

GN3 Arrived, Brilliant book just had a quick read through it, well worth the money!

Will be buying the two Brian Scaddon books on the 30th :)

http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/ouqyWSbl.jpg

Thanks for the help guys

Reply to Insp & Testing Handbooks? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net