Discuss Inspection for AirBnB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know a friend who rents her house occasionally on AirBnB and I was wondering if the new rules that apply to landlords for having a satisfactory EICR would apply to that domestic-use case as well?

NO, Airbnb are not tenants.
But the owner of the property still has a Duty of care re safety within their property.
Ensuring the property meets all current safety standards would be a way of proving that they exercised that Duty.

“tenancy” includes a licence to occupy (and “landlord” is to be read accordingly).
From sec 122(6) Housing act. It seems a licence to occupy is interpreted as a tenant albeit with less rights. The same requirements apply to airbnb as any other place with a guest/tenant in. Which is broadly in line with @snowheads statement. Although airbnb sites describe lets as guests this does not abnegate the above.

I think this may be interpreted in court differently, if someone is paying to stay in your house they are renting, therefore are tenants?

Using your logic then when someone pays to stay in Hotel or Bed and Breakfast they must be tenants as well.

However in the Gas regs they don't mention Tenant but the regs do include B&B,

Who is a landlord?

In relation to domestic gas under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GS(IU)R 98), a landlord is anyone who rents out a property that they own under a lease that is shorter than 7 years or under a licence . Regardless of whether you are a landlord under GS(IU)R 98 you may be considered a landlord under other related legislation.

Landlords' duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, which includes, but not exclusively:

• residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

Last edited:
From the 2020 private rented sector statutory instrument:

Screenshot_20200824-101350_Drive.jpg

In the AirBnB guidance they mention Gas and Water but not Electrical safety specifically;

Probably another cockup in the wording of the Landlords Electrical Safety

Last edited:
Using your logic then when someone pays to stay in Hotel or Bed and Breakfast they must be tenants as well.

Commercial registered premises come under different regulations.
[automerge]1598261981[/automerge]
Landlords' duties apply to a wide range of accommodation, occupied under a lease or licence, which includes, but not exclusively:
  • residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
  • rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
  • rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

Last edited:
Who is a landlord?
In relation to domestic gas
under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (GS(IU)R 98), a landlord is

residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels
rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels
rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

It would seem from that a "Landlord" is anyone who rents out a property whether it's for long term or a holiday let, which AirBnB is, so we seem to singing from the same book.

I think everyone is agreed that a satisfactory EICR should be the normal case, but I suspect it is not going to be common on airbnb for some time.

In this friend's case I know it is not terrible (they do fix stuff that appears to be wrong), but it dates from 16th or similar so no RCDs and lots of supplementary bonding. Has not been tested/inspected for many years so there is nothing current to say one way or another, so I am pondering ways of getting them sorted.

Interesting thread. My neighbour is looking to put his recently deceased parents old house on AirBnb. Wants me to replace a load of light fittings and sort a bathroom. Currently has an electric radiator at one end of bath with extension lead running under bath. All old 3036 fuses with one upfront RCD. One can feel an enormous can of worms as wiring not touch for probably over 50 years and his late father was an electrical emgineer. :oops:

The Wylex plug-in replacements for the 3036 fuses which are better as can be reset without any skill. However, it really would be better to look at a new CU!

The Wylex plug-in replacements for the 3036 fuses which are better as can be reset without any skill. However, it really would be better to look at a new CU!
I’ll bear in mind. The supply head is fairly new and TNCS but already noticed the main earth is undersized. Looking forward to testing. Placing bets on whether there’s a CPC on the lighting circuits.

Reply to Inspection for AirBnB? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net