Discuss installation certificate in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just don't understand the legal stuff it seems everyone has a different view.
Murdoch has the right answer
You only have 2 legal options open to you:

1. Join a scheme

2. Notify and pay LABC
or you can do it illegally, which is what you are wanting to do.
To get someone else to sign off your work is illegal, to start a rewire when not a scheme member without notifying building control is illegal.
However if you have in writing from Building Control a statement saying (as you say in your second post) that you are permitted to get a third party registered installer to sign off your work then that is legal justification for this course of action, however most registered sparks will not do this as it only encourages others like you to continue doing it.

the fact that its the property owners responsibility to ensure notification rather than the electrician seems to have slipped everyones mind...........

the fact that its the property owners responsibility to ensure notification rather than the electrician seems to have slipped everyones mind...........

But its the competent electricians obligation to inform the customer of this too. Ignorance is no defence.

very true.
but that obligation is moral , not legal , as the homeowner should still be expected to understand their responsibilites and keep themselves informed.

the important thing in my mind is that the choice is still there.

^^^in reply to Murdoch.

Last edited by a moderator:
i need to move back in.

not how i read it
quote " this is my first rewire of a small house..........."

didnt say it was his house , although my statement you quoted is still technically & legally correct
Yes it is technically and legally correct, but not relevant, though useful for the OP to know the technicalities.

I wouldn't agree that it was illegal due to the fact I've got the necessary qualifications and judging what most people think about part p and the other schemes on here is it really worth joining one

I wouldn't agree that it was illegal due to the fact I've got the necessary qualifications and judging what most people think about part p and the other schemes on here is it really worth joining one

IF you believe that you have the necessary paper qualifications contact LABC and see if they will accept them.

Just for clarification here are some extracts from the law stating that is is illegal, whether anything would ever be done about it (especially if the work was good quality) is another matter, but it is possible.

Building Act 1984
Breach of building regulations
35. If a person contravenes any provision contained in building
regulations, other than a provision designated in the regulations
as one to which this section does not apply, he is liable on
summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the
standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding £50 for each
day on which the default continues after he is convicted.

36.-(1) If any work to which building regulations are applicable
contravenes any of those regulations, the local authority,
without prejudice to their right to take proceedings for a fine
in respect of the contravention, may by notice require the
owner-
(a) to pull down or remove the work, or
(b) if he so elects, to effect such alterations in it as may be
necessary to make it comply with the regulations.

The Building Regulations 2010
Giving of a building notice or deposit of plans
12.—(1) This regulation applies to a person who intends to—
(a) carry out building work;
(b) replace or renovate a thermal element in a building to which the energy efficiency
requirements apply;
(c) make a change to a building’s energy status; or
(d) make a material change of use.
(2) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, a person to whom this regulation applies
shall—
(a) give to the local authority a building notice in accordance with regulation 13; or
(b) deposit full plans with the local authority in accordance with regulation 14.
(3) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to a building to which the Regulatory
Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005(a) applies, or will apply after the completion of the building work,
shall deposit full plans.
(4) A person intending to carry out building work which includes the erection of a building
fronting onto a private street shall deposit full plans.
(5) A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which paragraph H4 of Schedule 1
imposes a requirement shall deposit full plans.
(6) A person intending to carry out building work is not required to give a building notice or
deposit full plans where the work consists only of work—
(a) described in column 1 of the Table in Schedule 3 if the work is to be carried out by a
person described in the corresponding entry in column 2 of that Table; or
(b) described in Schedule 4.

I have spoken to a electrician with over 40 yrs experience today he told me that all the part p business is a waste of money,he never signs off his work he gets a firm in to do it for him ,he has never considered getting his testing certificates

I have spoken to a electrician with over 40 yrs experience today he told me that all the part p business is a waste of money,he never signs off his work he gets a firm in to do it for him ,he has never considered getting his testing certificates

So 2 wrongs make a right then

Sorry mate but you can keep on posting on this forum, but you know you are wrong, we know you are wrong. End Of.

Considering the spark had 40 yrs in the trade i think he's in a position where he can comment,there are no definitive answers on here there's as many people agreeing with part p as there are disagreeing

Considering the spark had 40 yrs in the trade i think he's in a position where he can comment,there are no definitive answers on here there's as many people agreeing with part p as there are disagreeing

Well... for a start your spark of 40 years is well out of date so start by realising he may be wrong.

Its not about agreeing or disagreeing the law is the law, like said early in the post 2 options use a scheme or LABC and just because he has been in the trade for 40 years doesn't make him the oracle

Reply to installation certificate in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net