Discuss Installing downlight's prices? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I was at a job today and it was for installing downlighters (GU 10) in a new house and was wondering what sort of price's you guy's charge for installing them?

I usually charge roughly about £15 per light, materials supplied and fitted in an average room but the guys wanting 20 across 4 rooms throughout the house.

Just wondering if it's worth dropping the price a little cause theirs so many or just stick to the £15. Could do with the job/money.

Wondering if dropping the price is the norm or if £15 a light is fair enough, let me know?

Cheers boys

I definately would not go any lower than £15 per light that seems more than reasonable to me.
What are your material costs?

Alright boy's

Material cost is about £5 for the light fitting, lamp and for cable per point. Which leaves £10 for fitting/wiring. To be honest just starting out and trying all sorts to get work in which aint really happening regulary enough at the moment.

This job is from rated people, something which I'm still trying to work out if getting jobs from it are really worth the hassel. It costs me to get the guys number and the guy told me that 2 other sparks were going to quote for it after I looked at it. This means I really need to be low cause the guy's just going to take the lowest offer.

I'm trying to get advice on here to see what others are charging and what others think is reasonable to charge. I would love to get £40 for each point but pretty sure the other 2 sparks will be cheaper than that.

Anybody else been on rated people and thought it was worth while? Starting to think the only ones making any money out it is them!!! Everyone else has to cut it to the bone, myself included.

Any good ideas on getting work in off of joe public feel free to let me know ;)

cheers boys

£20 per fitting, labour only. materials on top.

If your dry on work its your choice on what you want to make money wise out of a job,£15 a point seems too cheap,and why should you sell yourself short,if someone wants work doing they will pay a fair price for a qualified tradesman who will carry out to the regs,with a certificate at the end.There will be differing prices that people will reply on here but its what your happy to work for,I priced recently for a cooker circuit install,got undercut,i put in a very good price,i do a professional job at a good rate,im not getting in bidding wars.

at the end of the day you need to make money. ive done loads of wee jobs and said aye £20 quid will do , then you go home and think, petrol ,time and you end up with no profit. them days are gon or im gone says the misses

I wouldn't be dropping less than the £15, especially as i dont think £15 is enough. I work from £25 per light - that covers the lights and cable. Not having a go but what type of light are you installing if that and the cable is £5 each? I get a decent deal on Robus downlights at just under 4 quid each (plus vat) then there is the cable on top! I know you say you are looking for work but if you are losing money on jobs you might as well sit in the house not earning anything than grafting your bits off for free! As I=p/u say's, you have fuel costs, van and PL insurance etc etc.

you just have to tell them sell them your work is upto scratch and will be to all regulations. im doing kitchen rewire at moment and the house has spots all round, up in attic you can see that some punk didnt even move the insualtion you can see where its been burning/sindging, i started to talk me talk about electrical safety and ive got that job too when i finish kitchen rewire... its all about safety so 15 squid doesnt cut it. unless you know whats lurking aheaad and of course a relative.

ps as i mentioned above does anyone know where to get fire guards for around spots, when i look i seem to be getting prices of 11 quid each, any help appreciated. gl in what you decide to charge , hope you get the work. and hope you make a wage and profit to invest in nice new tools, we know thats what you'l buy

Reply to Installing downlight's prices? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net