Discuss Installing outdoor outlets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

RT1187

DIY
Reaction score
I've been thinking of adding a couple of outdoor weatherproof sockets to the same wiring I used to connect my CCTV camera, this was previously just powering two outdoor lights which I have removed. The fuse is only 6Amp on that ring so I wouldn't be plugging anything too power intensive into it. Mainly just for my wife to power her turbo trainer in the garage over winter.

A few questions;

Am I safe to do this? I don't think the fuse for that ring is RCD, will that be a problem? It has been powering outdoor lights for years.

Will 6Amp be enough to power the one CCTV camera as well as a bicycle turbo trainer, 18" floor fan, laptop and TV when she is working out? The fan I think would be the biggest power draw but at 110W/240V that's only about 0.5 amp right?

52401733311_3c02d51490_c.jpg

No.

General 13A socket must (shall?) be rcd protected.

Best idea is to get someone in who can design the circuit properly. Spurring from nearest socket circuit would be best…. Or another radial circuit… but 6A isn’t big enough.

Will 6Amp be enough to power the one CCTV camera as well as a bicycle turbo trainer, 18" floor fan, laptop and TV when she is working out? The fan I think would be the biggest power draw but at 110W/240V that's only about 0.5 amp right?

As said above, RCD protection is required.
That might be all that you intend to be plugged in, but what about when and if the weather becomes much colder? Little 1kW heater plugged in will only draw about 5A, but that, combined with the other loads might push the 6A breaker into overload, which won't make it trip, but will, over time, damage it through the heat internally generated.
What about after you've moved house, and the next person uses it as a normal 13A socket?

Reply to Installing outdoor outlets. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net