Discuss Insulation resistance test help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Now THAT,is not the way to begin in your training. Shortcuts MAY be indulged,after many years of experience,and a very thorough knowledge of what is,and can occur.

If you do your sequence of tests correctly the polarity and continuity of the switches will already have been proven before you do any IR tests. If you are at college then you should be concentrating on doing the tests correctly not on taking short cuts.

You're trying to do three tests in one. Out in the real world everything electrical is there to throw out your IR readings. Neons, lamps, kettles.
Have they shown you any accidents that happen from shortcuts? Electricity is dangerous. No one on here can say they don't make little mistakes as it is when they follow all the procedures and don't take shortcuts
I was just seeing if there was a way to incorporate the lights in my test rather than doing the test on all circuits I'm not actually going to do it in college I was just curious if I was on site I'd do it all one by one

If you do your sequence of tests correctly the polarity and continuity of the switches will already have been proven before you do any IR tests. If you are at college then you should be concentrating on doing the tests correctly not on taking short cuts.
I'm only testing the lighting circuit so can't prove it any other way and not going to liven it up so either IR test or r1+r2

You have to follow sequence properly while at college, dead testing is more important to them than your actual install. They kind of expect mistakes to happen while installing, it's proving you can test properly, and find any mistakes. On your AM2 later, you have to fully test you're install, you usually get given 15mins to rectify any mistakes found while testing. You don't fail for mistakes, you fail for not testing properly and possibly missing the mistakes

I was just seeing if there was a way to incorporate the lights in my test rather than doing the test on all circuits I'm not actually going to do it in college I was just curious if I was on site I'd do it all one by one

If you read my previous post you will have already proved continuity and polarity on the switches and lights before IR. When doing the IR tests however you still do need to have 1 way switches set to the closed position and operate any 2 way or intermediate switches so that the strappers are included in the test.

Hi bud,why are you going to be doing it properly on site,if on site,as per your previous statement,a shortcut is the way forward? ...see the problem...

Enthusiasm,front,keeness...even gonads...are great qualities,and i am green with envy,at your youth:) BUT,these will keep you going AFTER the basic,technical aspects are grasped.

Keep asking,keep doing,don't get "dissed" by any advice or stick,we just want you to absorb the correct methods,and more importantly know why.

If i was mentoring you,you would have already today,had a ragging,a dinner bought,and then brought to a DB and not leave until it sinks in.

Give your tutor a hard time,and MAKE him explain it,in a fashion,so you yourself could explain it to another.

Good hunting:)

Hi bud,why are you going to be doing it properly on site,if on site,as per your previous statement,a shortcut is the way forward? ...see the problem...

Enthusiasm,front,keeness...even gonads...are great qualities,and i am green with envy,at your youth:) BUT,these will keep you going AFTER the basic,technical aspects are grasped.

Keep asking,keep doing,don't get "dissed" by any advice or stick,we just want you to absorb the correct methods,and more importantly know why.

If i was mentoring you,you would have already today,had a ragging,a dinner bought,and then brought to a DB and not leave until it sinks in.

Give your tutor a hard time,and MAKE him explain it,in a fashion,so you yourself could explain it to another.

Yeah get what your saying all I wanted to know was could I incorporate the IR test to prove my light switches work both ways and all I get is flipping hassle

Have you got access to the trainee section? Could be more beneficial for you. They will be a bit calmer than me Didn't realise you were trainee at first, sorry
Have you got access to the trainee section? Could be more beneficial for you. They will be a bit calmer than me Didn't realise you were trainee at first, sorry
I'm in my third week just wanted a bit of advise that was all I appreciate your advise I didn't want a shortcut so to speak just to see if they were other ways of doing things rather than the ones explained to see my best method

Always always ask questions. It's the only way to learn. Get on the trainee section, the guys here are brilliant. They will take the time to explain things. Try not to use the word "shortcut" next time ;)

Always always ask questions. It's the only way to learn. Get on the trainee section, the guys here are brilliant. They will take the time to explain things. Try not to use the word "shortcut" next time ;)
Yeah thanks again I'm still getting to know teacher but will defiantly ask questions just don't wanna look like a fool

Hi I want to test the whole board at once with an insulation test so turn off main isolator and breakers turn tester to 500v? And is the best thing to do, the incoming tails L+N put in a link between them and connect your probes to the link and other to earth also can you still operate light switches on and off to confirm that they work cheers
Why are you turning off the breakers? won't be much of a test with all the breakers off, more to the point, and I'm not having a dig at you, your profile says no electrical quals, that says to me that you aren't an electrician, what about safe isolation,do you think you are competent to do these tests?

Why are you turning off the breakers? won't be much of a test with all the breakers off, more to the point, and I'm not having a dig at you, your profile says no electrical quals, that says to me that you aren't an electrician, what about safe isolation,do you think you are competent to do these tests?
If you read the whole post I've said countless times I'm in my third week of my college course which is full time and I've just started testing so you would know I'm not an electrician...

If you read the whole post I've said countless times I'm in my third week of my college course which is full time and I've just started testing so you would know I'm not an electrician...
Sorry mate missed that bit, bit of a skim reader am I,

Another one

I have noticed one error in that video:

When conducting the insulation test between live conductors and earth he has only tested to the cpc. The cpc must be terminated into the earth bar so that it is connected to the means of earthing for the installation before conducting the test.

Reply to Insulation resistance test help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net