Discuss Insurance company demand proof of credentials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kkkkk

-
Reaction score
Hi all

There is a commercial complex that I am inspecting, testing and certificating, and doing any necessary remedial work. I have now got my client's insurance company demanding my credentials regarding being NICEIC registered (I am registered with one of the others), and that I have to prove my qualifications for doing such work, and that I must be able to prove competence by electrical training, qualifications and/or experience for the class of electrical system being inspected.

I have never come across this before - has anyone come across anything like this themselves? How does one prove one's experience? I have 17th edition and am registered on the competent persons list, I am ELECSA registered.

I'd be pleased if anyone could tell me what all this is about. I've never had to prove anything before, I always give my ELECSA registration number.

Of course, it's commercial work, and you don't have to be registered to carry out this work, but the ELECSA registration proves competency.

Thanks in advance for any information.

:6::6::6::6::6::6::6:

never heard that one, and although I dont think being part of a scheme proves anything, this company does. I would tell them you reg number and the number to your provider, tell them to call them and then **** off

Barring the "credentials re NICEIC" bit I think that insurers demanding that someone is able to prove competency is going to become more and more prevalent and in some ways could be good for the trade.
I've been thinking for a while that they, being the scumbags that they are, could and would use the fact that a place hadn't been tested in years or had been tested by an incompetent as a reason not to pay out on a claim. This is more likely to focus the mind of the public/owners of small commercial places to making sure that who they hire for a job is skilled enough to carry it out to the required standard and something like this would carry a lot more weight than any amount of Part P initiatives. It could put an end to Kev Kitchen Fitter, Bob the Builder or Peter the plumber or even DIY Dave doing things that they are hopelessly out of their depth at.

It isn't a common thing yet but pretty soon I reckon it will be.
Has anyone at the insurance company been a victim oops sorry I meant client of yours
:)

Really if you just send them copies of your Elecsa registration certificate and your 2391 (2394/5) certificate then they should be happy, once they have a piece of paper they tend to shut up (mainly because they do not know what they are!)
Point out that Elecsa registration is the same as (if not better:biggrin:) than NICEIC registration.

Hi all

There is a commercial complex that I am inspecting, testing and certificating, and doing any necessary remedial work. I have now got my client's insurance company demanding my credentials regarding being NICEIC registered (I am registered with one of the others), and that I have to prove my qualifications for doing such work, and that I must be able to prove competence by electrical training, qualifications and/or experience for the class of electrical system being inspected.

I have never come across this before - has anyone come across anything like this themselves? How does one prove one's experience? I have 17th edition and am registered on the competent persons list, I am ELECSA registered.

I'd be pleased if anyone could tell me what all this is about. I've never had to prove anything before, I always give my ELECSA registration number.

Of course, it's commercial work, and you don't have to be registered to carry out this work, but the ELECSA registration proves competency.

Thanks in advance for any information.

:6::6::6::6::6::6::6:
eh?.....

Barring the "credentials re NICEIC" bit I think that insurers demanding that someone is able to prove competency is going to become more and more prevalent and in some ways could be good for the trade.
I've been thinking for a while that they, being the scumbags that they are, could and would use the fact that a place hadn't been tested in years or had been tested by an incompetent as a reason not to pay out on a claim. This is more likely to focus the mind of the public/owners of small commercial places to making sure that who they hire for a job is skilled enough to carry it out to the required standard and something like this would carry a lot more weight than any amount of Part P initiatives. It could put an end to Kev Kitchen Fitter, Bob the Builder or Peter the plumber or even DIY Dave doing things that they are hopelessly out of their depth at.
come on Trev...you forgot Barry bathroom fitter....

Maybe these insurance companies are catching on to these Electrical Trainee / 17 day whizz kids, that all the scheme providers will take on with just the 17th ed C&G so-called qualification. Personally i don't blame them at all, they are insuring properties, basically on the say-so of a person, that has little to no real training or experience....

As already been stated here and many times before, holding a 17th qualification and being a member of a scheme provider, does not in any way shape or form, equal being a competent electrician, ...as many a customer/client i'm sure, has found out to they're peril. lol!!

It is actually quite normal for Insurers of commercial buildings to request proof that contractors undertaking work in a given building are competent to do said work, and the usual way to do this is to prove membership of a registered trade organisation. For boiler engineers it is now Gas Safe, but for Electrical related contractors the Industry norm is NICEIC, but they should accept ELECSA.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re credentials don’t match the clients insurance requirements, then the insurance will be null and void.

Looks like the insurance companies have latched on to the Electrical Trainee’s.

I’ve always hated insurance companies. They may now have redeemed themselves in my eyes. Only if they clamp down on required electrical qualifications!

Membership of a scheme is no proof of qualifications. It just say’s you’ve paid you’re dues.

The sooner this takes off the better!

It could be that the insurance companies will be the way forward to a national register. I do hope so! This trade has to rise out of the mire the scheme’s have created!

Just to add, I’ve no time for the NIC or any other scheme, I’ve never needed them.

It is actually quite normal for Insurers of commercial buildings to request proof that contractors undertaking work in a given building are competent to do said work, and the usual wat to do this is to prove membership of a registered trade organisation. For boiler engineers it is now Gas Safe, but fod Electrical related contractors the Industry norm is NICEIC, but they should accept ELECSA.

i would have thought that membership of ECA for commercial was more appropriate than elecsa, which latter is for domestic.

If the Insurance companies are going to be doing this and it is a good thing, they are going to have to state it up front as a condition of the Insurance cover, so the customer knows to look for the relevant person.

Or maybe the Ins co's should set up thier own register of approved persons, at no cost to those persons of course.

I have had it with a Local Authority Licensing dept which would accept a variety of companies including NICEIC and ECA but would approve an individual company as an exception. ELECSA and 2391 got me approved.

Also in the past with an Ecclesiastical Insurance company which only accepted NICEIC but does now accept ELECSA.

I can see why they are doing it as ELECSA is part p which is domestic and you do not need a lot of experience/knowledge to get this. A full scope certification such as ECA is different.

Reply to Insurance company demand proof of credentials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net