Discuss Intro - and immediate questions / thoughts in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have no idea what the arrangement is. Its not one I'd get involved in myself though.
He knows my work, he knows I will not cut corners with electrical work. He knows that I will not wire anything up I'm not sure about - without asking. At the end of the day, I might just wire up the rings and radials and leave him to do all switches. I will chase out the runs and fasten back-boxes and lay the trunking/channels.

He knows my work, he knows I will not cut corners with electrical work. He knows that I will not wire anything up I'm not sure about - without asking. At the end of the day, I might just wire up the rings and radials and leave him to do all switches. I will chase out the runs and fasten back-boxes and lay the trunking/channels.
Sorry miss read your post thought you meant ex council house not an ex old folks home, I understand why the 5 RFCs

Well he could if he considers the work being done as his work.
What about the electrician who has a mate doing the cable bashing for him? As long as he's aware of the work done and is prepared to consider it his own he can sign off. Obviously he's trusting the mate to work to the required standard and would need to inspect and ensure that was so.
Personally I'd find it difficult to do as I like things done my way but I'm sure there are others who are more flexible.

I've gone right off CAT 5 (well CAT 6e now) and gone over to wireless.
Less and less hardwired kit and the cabling is a pain and often ends up in the wrong corner if the room.
I prefer to use POE repeaters to cover blind spots. Simpler cabling if you mount near ceiling.

I've gone right off CAT 5 (well CAT 6e now) and gone over to wireless.
Less and less hardwired kit and the cabling is a pain and often ends up in the wrong corner if the room.
I prefer to use POE repeaters to cover blind spots. Simpler cabling if you mount near ceiling.
Yep, and next year Cat 7 or whatever. The whole upstairs will be a blind spot. My office and the router will be downstairs.
I need rapid internet for work and occasional gaming. Kids need gaming speed too (Lag kills - and wireless systems presently have a worse ping than wired and can also have interference issues). Concrete floor will kill wireless (Been there before) so repeaters will be needed anyway. Whatever system I choose I will run any cables through plastic pipework so it will be easy to drag through a replacement update. My whole comms network needs a great deal more thought and it's not my priority at present.

I CAT wired my house. Now all unused. Everyone uses wireless.even kids gaming

Not sure how he can sign any of it off if he is just connecting the CU. Can't provide Installation Cert surely.
he can if he inspects the cabling at 1st fix, before it's concealed, and as long as he's willing to take responsibility for the installation.

You just use wired access points in each floor.

Reply to Intro - and immediate questions / thoughts in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net