Discuss Is it just me? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yeah that does read like they already know the answer to what they're asking.

:D :D :D

What about now?

it does seem that there is a clique handful of experienced pros on here that have probably heard every question before and experienced every scenario,
whilst i bow to their superior knowledge they do seem a little impatient and a little rude to some posters,i think this puts some people of daring to ask questions.

it does seem that there is a clique handful of experienced pros on here that have probably heard every question before and experienced every scenario,
whilst i bow to their superior knowledge they do seem a little impatient and a little rude to some posters,i think this puts some people of daring to ask questions.

It's the posts which ask the same question every other week that irritate the hell out of people. Coupled with the complete lack of information given in such posts and a lack of effort on the part of the person asking the question it is sure to wind people up.

We so often see an opening post which states that an RCD is tripping but the poster didn't do any testing as they were only having a quick look and didn't take any tools, how on earth is anyone supposed to offer any more helpful advice than to carry out some basic testing?

It's the posts which ask the same question every other week that irritate the hell out of people. Coupled with the complete lack of information given in such posts and a lack of effort on the part of the person asking the question it is sure to wind people up.

We so often see an opening post which states that an RCD is tripping but the poster didn't do any testing as they were only having a quick look and didn't take any tools, how on earth is anyone supposed to offer any more helpful advice than to carry out some basic testing?
i know its not easy when you've heard it all before and i agree some of the questions could be better formulated.but what is the solution,perhaps it is better to just look away sometimes and not say anything

i know its not easy when you've heard it all before and i agree some of the questions could be better formulated.but what is the solution,perhaps it is better to just look away sometimes and not say anything

I just remember the days not that long ago when we had some real quality posters discussing all kinds of technical stuff - a lot of which I never fully understood but enjoyed reading and trying to learn from but they've gone now.

Here, I've tried to help.

I've added some text to the new thread screen. Take a look and see what you think.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=15

Any suggestions for improvements?

I like it :)

...although this bit sounds a bit ominous:
If you are a new electrician, then say so.

Kinda brought this to mind... (with apologies)...

new_electrician_new_danger.jpg

:angel_smile::willy_nilly:

We so often see an opening post which states that an RCD is tripping but the poster didn't do any testing as they were only having a quick look and didn't take any tools

That is the one that’s guaranteed to get my blood pressure up. I’d be too ashamed to even ask the question without some figures to substantiate the question. By the time I’d got the figures I wouldn’t need to ask the question.

To be honest, the repetitive questions are on a par with threads like this, harking back to a time when all questions were interesting and the forum was great etc etc. I really enjoy this forum and I always have. Its been such a great resource but I do agree that people get shot down too quickly in my opinion, and it gives the impression that the forum is grumpy and unhelpful which is not the case at all.

The list of things that turn up several times a week

1. Asking for a reg number but dont have a copy to cross reference it too
2. Asking for information that is widely available on the internet or via a phone call to a particular company (e.g. JIB grading)
3. I need a answer that I want to hear even though they are wrong
4. I know what I am doing, but what would you do scenario
5. Im blagging it how do I this

All these are things that get the most responses regarding why are you asking because it seems that these people think we will pander to their every need before they have attempted to put any effort in themselves. Show a little willing in the opening post will get a lot more positive response straight away.

It is a difficult one this is, I have been on both sides of the fence on this forum and enjoyed it from both sides.
The only thing I can offer is if you don't like a post or you think the op is a diyer or just out of his depth then hit the report button and move onto a thread that you are happy to help out in. Life is far too short to get stressed out over, I know that can be easier said than done but just report the thread or poster and let us deal with it.
Cheers lads.

It is a difficult one this is, I have been on both sides of the fence on this forum and enjoyed it from both sides.
The only thing I can offer is if you don't like a post or you think the op is a diyer or just out of his depth then hit the report button and move onto a thread that you are happy to help out in. Life is far too short to get stressed out over, I know that can be easier said than done but just report the thread or poster and let us deal with it.
Cheers lads.
Not that easy though Glenn is it? sometimes they need to be told to stop themselves harming themselves or others, and especially as there are people browsing the site looking for information, if it is wrong and they are out of their depth they need to be told, just closing a thread which can still be read will not deter the DIY enthusiasts.

Not that easy though Glenn is it? sometimes they need to be told to stop themselves harming themselves or others, and especially as there are people browsing the site looking for information, if it is wrong and they are out of their depth they need to be told, just closing a thread which can still be read will not deter the DIY enthusiasts.

Mornin' Mark :)

Are you after nicking Tony's position as the Official Forum Grumpy Git by any chance?? :joker:

As Mike said, leaving bad advice in a locked thread is dangerous. If the people involved are up in arms over a deleted thread, so be it.

It’s often said about the blind leading the blind on here. When the blind are congratulating each other with “The Following User Says Thank You to ***** For This Useful Post:” it appears to the casual browser the forum endorses the bad advice.

In the event of an accident, attributing legal responsibility is highly unlikely due to having to prove identity but there is a moral responsibility.

Mike I totally get what you're saying you know that, but if you report the poster we can tackle them via pm rather than the thread just descending into chaos.
I didn't mean that I would just close a thread down, what I meant is if a poster is doing something dangerous then let us know about the thread and we can act on it.
Mike you know better than anyone that I like a bit of banter and a good debate but it can be a thin line between that and ripping someone a new one!!
We all want a happy forum where we can debate and talk and joke but not get new posters to the point where they dare not ask a question because that can be equally as dangerous, for me it's got to be safer to try and steer them in the right direction even if that means getting a more experienced guy to help them.
If after you do that they then get abusive towards you then it the report button and they will be dealt with accordingly, has far as I am concerned we are here to fight your corner as well as the new guys.

Reply to Is it just me? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net