Discuss Is it possible? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This PV system output performance is outstanding, the solar panel power is 3.52KW, but peak output power is above 4KW, how is this possible?

Stoke Hammond G7PKF 3.520kW

Please don't take offence to me telling the truth that I actually dropped your system from my list of favourites because its readings were always such a long way ahead of any simlar-sized system.

Your system is about 20% ahead of even the next-best system within 50 miles of your location (at least, from what I can find).
You're about 30% ahead of the average system, and 20% ahead of a 4kW Sanyo system in your favourites.
Most of the nearby systems of similar size, orientation and with no shading are within about 10% of each other, so yours stands out like a sore thumb.

I'm surprised that your FiT provider hasn't queried the readings, what with them being so different from all the others.
The extreme outperformance is almost as if your system has 250W panels rather than the 220's listed. Unless ZEN panels (which I know very little about) are high-end performance.

Something very odd is going on. Do the incoming string voltage, ampage and wattage tally with having 220W panels?

Cheers,
F

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably being uploaded vi a Current Cost monitoring system!!
Seriuosly though the question is: What is monitoring the output / how is it being uploaded.
We have found the CC systems to be out by 20 - 50% -OK for RELATIVE information, inaccurate for real monitoring.

FB do you have your system listed on pvoutput.

Yes, but not on a live data feed. I also input once-daily data into my own Excel sheet, and submit readings to the Sheffield Solar Farm for them to collate and analyse along with others.
I figured that in return for a generous FiT, I should at least give some payback to others by making my data available for people to use and hopefully learn from.

My data entry on PVOutput.org is just day's total generation and weather, plus occasional special comment. The inverter is in a downstairs utility room, so I can easily see what it's doing on-screen if I want to, without need for a £150-200 monitoring device (the PowerOne monitors weren't especially good at the time anyway).

Link to PVOutput:
Cambs S P 3.750kW

The in-laws had a 3.29kW system installed last summer, which is what encouraged us to have one. They began their investigations around April-May 2011.
Speaking to the in-laws is what got me interested in something which I'd previously thought was an expensive gimmick (as many people still do); the saying that solar is catching is indeed true.
Us getting one encouraged another relative to get one, and a neighbour.

Hopefully the following link goes to the Sheffield Solar Farm website. I'm sure they'd appreciate anyone who can offer their data:
http://www.microgen-database.org.uk/

My URN on the Sheffield website is 774, a few miles North of Cambridge, Cambs, CB24 postcode.

Although nominally listed as "SouthEast", my system is actually a bit worse than that; it's East-South-East facing (about 120-125 azimuth).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably being uploaded vi a Current Cost monitoring system!!
Seriuosly though the question is: What is monitoring the output / how is it being uploaded.
We have found the CC systems to be out by 20 - 50% -OK for RELATIVE information, inaccurate for real monitoring.

Totalling-up everything the monitoring device says, and comparing it with the inverter logs and with the generation meter would give a definitive answer.

My generation meter is showing 99.5% the value in the inverter logs, which is more than close enough. I expect the 0.5% discrepancy (i.e. a discrepancy of 1kWh in every 200 generated) is largely the cable loss from inverter to generation meter, with perhaps a minor variation in the calibration of the two pieces of equpment.

somthing does not add up here.

421 kwh our 4 kwp did in south coast in august!!

On a slight tangent, there is a distinct seasonal variation in different parts of the country. East Anglia tends to experience its sunniest weather in late summer and autumn, although the South Coast does tend to see more sun than most areas, for most of the year.
My 3.75kWp in East Anglia generated 425kWh during August, and my system is about an average performer in this area.
Early in the year, a few people mocked the "underperformance" of systems in my area - assuming that it was poor installation or poor components - when it was probably the seasonal weather patterns since all systems were within +/-5% of each other.

Met Office climate data here: Met Office: UK mapped climate averages

Cheers,
F

That would be about right
Cromer: 46.23kWp August: 6146.25 kWh
Gt Yarmouth: 49.92kWp August: 7004.62 kWh
Forest of Dean: 48.88 kWp August: 5078.75 kWh

Reply to Is it possible? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net